Round 3172: BAWN [Call for Votes]

Paul Keating

Jun 5, 2021, 3:20:57 AM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here are 13 potential definitions of BAWN. Some come from a dictionary, and one even from a dictionary article about the word bawn. Please vote for two, by the deadline, which is Monday 7 June at 10h00 CEST. That is roughly 48 hours from time of posting.

1. A squirrel’s nest.
2.
 A large abdominal paunch; a pot belly.
3.
 [OE] bath or spa (c.f. German Baden).
4.
 The fourth letter of the Piscatedic alphabet.
5.
 A dark brown pigment used in oil painting, extracted from the fecal matter of bears.
6.
 Scot. An immaterial debt which cannot be settled by the exchange of goods or property.
7.
 1. A fortified enclosure, enceinte, or circumvallation; the fortified court or outwork of a castle. 2. A cattlefold.
8
. The noise that can occur when a yawn and a swallow occur at the same time: caused by the release of air trapped between the epiglottis and the larynx.
9
. Processed meat made from offcuts and less desirable parts, usually sold sliced; often beef but also lamb or pork.
10
. A slender bristle, especially one at the tip of a glume or lemma in a grass spikelet.
11
. A small, twisted bundle of hay used to aid a horse’s circulation.
12
. Mud formed from the partial decay of peat.
13
. A secret or clandestine marriage [Eng.]

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

Debbie Embler

Jun 5, 2021, 8:19:34 AM6/5/21
to Dixonary
6 and 7 please

Judy Madnick

Jun 5, 2021, 8:40:47 AM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 8 because they seem ridiculous and may need some votes. <G>

Judy

2 and 8 as the only ones that make sense.

--Mike

Tim Lodge

Jun 5, 2021, 12:15:23 PM6/5/21
to Dixonary
I'll try 6 a 7, please.

          6. Scot. An immaterial debt which cannot be settled by the exchange of goods or property.

          7. 1. A fortified enclosure, enceinte, or circumvallation; the fortified court or outwork of a castle. 2. A cattlefold.

BTW, I don't see my def here, although you replied to my def message.

-- Tim L

Paul Keating

Jun 5, 2021, 12:46:34 PM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Quite correct: my apologies. Finger trouble on my part. I did note an apparent empty row in the spreadsheet,  and I should have paid it closer attention.

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 5, 2021, 12:51:40 PM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
6 is most believable.  I would have voted for 7 in homage to rubble but the. I saw 8 and I can’t not vote for that creativity.

So, 6 and 8.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 5, 2021, at 12:20 AM, Paul Keating <kea...@acm.org> wrote:

 Here are 13 potential definitions of BAWN. Some come from a dictionary, and one even from a dictionary article about the word bawn. Please vote for two, by the deadline, which is Monday 7 June at 10h00 CEST. That is roughly 48 hours from time of posting.

Fein, Deborah

Jun 5, 2021, 1:13:26 PM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 13 are kind of opposites, so i'll go for those.
Deb F.

Jun 5, 2021, 4:00:22 PM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#7 and #13 please

JohnnyB

Tony Abell

Jun 5, 2021, 6:18:06 PM6/5/21
to Paul Keating

I'll take 1 because there ought to be word for that, and 7 because it's dictionary-like:

> 1. A squirrel’s nest.

Shani Naylor

Jun 5, 2021, 8:00:43 PM6/5/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll vote for the popular 7 and the unpopular 11 because I can't imagine how it might be used.

amal...@comcast.net

Jun 6, 2021, 8:16:47 AM6/6/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Paul – I’ll go with 6 and the less popular 10. But with appreciation for the creativity of #5. I wonder if paint companies still send their apprentices out to the woods to gather bearshit, or whether by now synthetic equivalents have been developed.

Alan

Jun 6, 2021, 5:53:56 PM6/6/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Points to ponder:

Are all squirrel nests supposed to be bawns, or only certain kinds?

Wasn't potbelly the real meaning of a recently-dealt word that begins with "D"?

Was the letter "w" even used in Old English? Didn't it come along later?

What on earth is the Piscatedic alphabet? Pictures of fish?

If bear feces contain brown pigment, shouldn't the feces of at least one less fierce, more easily domesticated, species?

Is an immaterial debt one that doesn't matter?

Has anyone here ever yawned and swallowed at the same time?

What on earth are glumes and lemmas? (In mathematics, a lemma is a subsidiary proof that is needed for a main proof.)

What do you do with hay to help a horse's circulation? Tickle the horse? Or does it help a horse walk in circles?

Doesn't peat decay into something that can be burned?

Isn't "secret or clandestine" redundant?

That leaves 7 and 9. I don't believe them either, but if I find issues with them too I won't have any defs left to vote for.

Efrem

On Jun 5, 2021, at 3:20 AM, Paul Keating <kea...@acm.org> wrote:

Here are 13 potential definitions of BAWN. Some come from a dictionary, and one even from a dictionary article about the word bawn. Please vote for two, by the deadline, which is Monday 7 June at 10h00 CEST. That is roughly 48 hours from time of posting.

7. 1. A fortified enclosure, enceinte, or circumvallation; the fortified court or outwork of a castle. 2. A cattlefold.

Paul Keating

Jun 6, 2021, 6:51:19 PM6/6/21
to Efrem G Mallach
Beowulf opens with the exclamation hwæt! (‘lo!’). You are correct that in the manuscript it is written ƿ (wynn), but the usual transcription is w even in learned contexts. For example, the OED gives the OE form of queen as cwēn. And printing w as a single piece of type (as opposed to vv) did indeed come along nearly a millennium later; it began around 1700.

--
Paul Keating
Soustons, Nouvelle Aquitaine, France

2021-06-06 23:53

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 6, 2021, 6:59:50 PM6/6/21
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Thanks, Paul. So, a word might be written as "bawn" today even though it wouldn't have been when OE was in use.

Of course, those were only points to ponder. I didn't research any of them, for fear of inadvertently stumbling on the word and its meaning. I just found a few of them amusing and knew that most of the other players had voted by then anyhow.

If anyone who reads this hasn't yet, be warned: my other "points to ponder" are as likely to be misguided as this one was!

Efrem

Tim B

Jun 8, 2021, 4:49:17 PM6/8/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
> I'll take 1 because there ought to be word for that, and 7 because it's dictionary-like:
>
>> 1. A squirrel’s nest.

I'll use one of my rare moments of wifi access to comment that there is, and it's a drey.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Efrem G Mallach

Jun 8, 2021, 5:55:10 PM6/8/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Yes, there is, and I knew that when I submitted it as a fake. I just deleted "drey" from my list of words to deal in the future.

Efrem

Daniel B Widdis

Jun 9, 2021, 3:04:00 AM6/9/21
to Dixonary
> I just deleted "drey" from my list of words to deal in the future.

Nuts.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dixonary/327F8385-E26E-4AA8-B57B-0722908C9058%40gmail.com.