Round 3185 vote for BRANNOCK DEVICE

Mike Shefler

Jul 26, 2021, 11:20:14 AM7/26/21
to Dixonary
Here are 14 definitions for BRANNOCK DEVICE, only one of which is real.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 5 PM, EDT, Tuesday, July 27.

1.  a method of aiming guns in sailing ships by marking the deck (after
Capt. Josiah Brannock, RN).

2.  an organelle of certain prokaryotes.

3.  [Scottish Law] a procedure allowing a defence advocate to introduce,
in certain specified circumstances, evidence which has not previously
been notified to the Procurator Fiscal.

4.  a valve used to control the flow of oxygen in a Bessemer converter;
invented by Jamie (later Sir James) Brannock (1822-1891).

5.  a device used to estimate stellar distances.

6.  a measuring instrument invented by Charles F. Brannock for measuring
a person's shoe size.

7.  used to measure the food value of breads cooked by frying.

8.  a coop or enclosure of wickerwork or spars placed in tide-ways and
openings in weirs, as a trap for salmon and other fish.

9.  in 19th century water-powered manufacturing, a mechanism that
transmitted force from the water wheel into drive belts in the
factory .

10.  a sewing gauge used to measure hemlines, tucks, and pleats as well as
the spaces required for buttons and buttonholes.

11.  a mechanical bread maker.

12.  in logic, a form of false reasoning, also known as the fallacy of the
undistributed middle.

13.  a graduated ruler that estimates geographical location from the
position of the sun and the time of day, needing no more than an
estimate of latitude.

14.  a hypothetical object theorized to be a potential mode of time
travel—although results have shown that a Brannock device could only
allow time travel if its length were infinite or with the existence
of negative energy.

Debbie Embler

Jul 26, 2021, 11:24:03 AM7/26/21
to Dixonary
6 and 8
Which ones will you speculate?

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~
For by one sacrifice Jesus has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. --Hebrews 10:14

Paul Keating

Jul 26, 2021, 11:46:49 AM7/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The bannock device (7) made me chuckle. But I vote for 8 &10.

Tim B

Jul 26, 2021, 11:56:53 AM7/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
13 and 14, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Judy Madnick

Jul 26, 2021, 12:05:58 PM7/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It's tempting to go with the two "bread" definitions, but frying bread???

I'll go with these:

5.  a device used to estimate stellar distances.
and
13.  a graduated ruler that estimates geographical location from the position of the sun and the time of day, needing no more than an estimate of latitude.

Judy Madnick

Tim Lodge

Jul 26, 2021, 12:10:12 PM7/26/21
to Dixonary
I'll try 12 and 14.

           12.  in logic, a form of false reasoning, also known as the fallacy of the undistributed middle.

           14.  a hypothetical object theorized to be a potential mode of time travel—although results have shown that a Brannock device could only allow time travel if its length were infinite or with the existence of negative energy.

--  Tim L

Ryan McGill

Jul 26, 2021, 3:46:11 PM7/26/21
to Dixonary
With all apologies to Judge Davies, I think I'll settle on raiment:

6 and 10, please.

Hugo Kornelis

Jul 26, 2021, 5:24:20 PM7/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Here are my (and my son's) votes for this round:

#9 (the force transmitter) and #12 (the undistributed middle)

Cheers,
Hugo

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 26, 2021, 6:02:01 PM7/26/21
to Dixonary

Does that mean the authors of those two definitions get two votes each? 😊

Hugo Kornelis

Jul 26, 2021, 6:17:25 PM7/26/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
My son is (at this time, at least) not an official participant of this game. Think of him as an advisor. (And, perhaps, a future recruit ... still working on that)

Efrem G Mallach

Jul 26, 2021, 10:49:55 PM7/26/21
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
The last two, 13 and 14, if only to prove that I read all the way through to the end.

Efrem

========================

On Jul 26, 2021, at 11:20 AM, 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary <dixo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here are 14 definitions for BRANNOCK DEVICE, only one of which is real.
Vote for your 2 favorites no later than 5 PM, EDT, Tuesday, July 27.

Shani Naylor

Jul 27, 2021, 12:57:00 AM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
The Brannock triplets (Josiah, Jamie & Charles) were an inventive bunch, but unfortunately I don't believe any of the defs on the list. As it is, I'll vote 10 & 11.

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 27, 2021, 5:51:25 AM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Judy

On 26/07/2021 17:05, Judy Madnick wrote:
but frying bread???
World wide there are many kinds of bread cooked by frying That means pancakes, doughnuts, fried pastries, and even waffles count as do bannocks, welsh cakes, singing hinnies etc- there are many others word wide  - not everyone has an oven! AND of course there is that British favourite 'fried slice'

JohnnyB

Shani Naylor

Jul 27, 2021, 6:13:13 AM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
French toast!

Debbie Embler

Jul 27, 2021, 8:04:55 AM7/27/21
to Dixonary
Singing hinnies is a new one for me

Paul Keating

Jul 27, 2021, 8:39:18 AM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
That bread might be a lost cause.

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 27, 2021, 9:25:33 AM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Debbie
they sing becasue they are very rich and the fat sizzles underneath them and they sing as the steam escapes - as I grew up they were really
cooked as a big single welsh cake without fruit --- that is probably a local variation... I believe that they come from the north east
JohnnyB

Debbie Embler

Jul 27, 2021, 9:29:54 AM7/27/21
to Dixonary
I'm going to try them!

Shani Naylor

Jul 27, 2021, 3:58:49 PM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
It would have been a good word to deal

amal...@comcast.net

Jul 27, 2021, 4:05:06 PM7/27/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

It sounds Scottish and vaguely Industrial Revolution-ish, so I’ll go for 8 and 9.

And by the way, Josiah and Jamie Brannock were twins. Charlie was their first cousin. Charlie is mistakenly believed by some to have been the inventor of the singing hinny.

Alan

Ryan McGill

Jul 27, 2021, 4:47:20 PM7/27/21
to Dixonary
All this talk about Brannocks made me think they were well known . . . so for the first time, I googled them. Y'all are rascals.