Aug 2, 2022, 11:19:10 AM8/2/22
Here are 10 definitions for TANBASTE, one of which came from a respectable dictionary.
Vote for your two favorites no later than 10 AM, EDT, Thursday, August 4.
1. a light weight highly maneuverable French tank manufactured by
Renault in WW2.
2. the move in Morris Dancing where diagonal partners hit sticks.
3. the widespread belief that the temple bell is sounded to invite the
deity to accept the worship and prayers in the Hindu temple: "I ring
this bell indicating the invocation of divinity, so that virtuous and
noble forces enter (my home and heart); and the demonic and evil
forces from within and without, depart".
4. a strong poison formerly used in Madagascar to determine the guilt or
otherwise of crime suspects.
5. the bark of the oak, and some other trees, bruised and broken by a
mill, for tanning hides; so called both before and after it has been
6. in wrestling, the practice of trying to make people believe that
wrestlers are particular characters, when in fact they are only
pretending to be those characters.
7. to blacken, make dirty, smut, smudge. Also in figurative context.
8. the name given by Cornish miners to the native tungstate of iron and
9. a male brothel attendant.
10. unruly behavior.