Round 3332 time to vote - KISS AND CRY

Shani Naylor

Mar 12, 2023, 3:57:17 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
We have a dozen definitions for our word KISS AND CRY, (at least) one of which comes from a respectable dictionary. Please vote for two by the deadline, which will be 36 hours from now (or before, if everyone who has submitted has voted). Deadlines are below:

Happy voting!

1.       Rhyming slang for die.

2.       (Archery) to encourage. [Obs.]

3.       The farewell at military deployment.

4.       An author who writes trashy romance novels.

5.       A Cockney term for “spy” during the Cold War.

6.       To kiss as a bittersweet ending to a relationship.

7.       The name of a make up which claims to be "life proof".

8.       Repeated effort after an initial failure (Cockney rhyming slang, from 'miss and try').

9.       [Sailors’ slang] In a square-rigged sailing ship, the sound of badly adjusted yards touching and squealing.

10.   Lawn bowls. A shot in which a player’s wood comes to a standstill touching the jack (a “kiss”), but transfers enough momentum to the jack for it to roll away and stop closer to an opposing player’s wood.

11.   An area in an ice skating rink where figure skaters rest while awaiting their results after a competitive performance. So named because competitors typically celebrate or commiserate (depending on their performance) with coaches, friends, or family in this location.

12.   The process of canning food developed by Englishman, Peter Durand, who discovered that food could be preserved by taking fresh vegetables (kissed by the sun) and applying heat to them in airtight containers under pressure to kill any microorganisms (cry).

 image.png

Tim B

Mar 12, 2023, 5:09:56 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
2 and 3, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Nadi Kay

Mar 12, 2023, 5:41:14 AM3/12/23
to Dixonary
5 and 8 : )
Nadi Kay

Paul Keating

Mar 12, 2023, 6:26:12 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Not for the first time, I detect a fundamental misunderstanding of how rhyming slang works. There is a good explanation here: https://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Words04/usage/slang_cockney.html

Voting for 2 and 11.
image.png

Chowie

Mar 12, 2023, 7:28:22 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4 and 9, please.

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

The Word became flesh and made ​H​is dwelling among us. We have seen ​H​is glory, the glory of the one and only Son, ​W​ho came from the Father, full of grace and truth​.​

hugo

Mar 12, 2023, 8:05:50 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I believe that #4 and #6 are closely related.

Verzonden vanaf mijn Galaxy

For lack of a better idea, I'll take 1 and 12 to prove that I read'em all!

Judy Madnick

Efrem Mallach

Mar 12, 2023, 9:42:37 AM3/12/23
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Sorry, Judy. That only proves you looked at the end of the list to see what the highest number is.

Efrem

Judy Madnick

Mar 12, 2023, 9:56:35 AM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

10.   Lawn bowls. A shot in which a player’s wood comes to a standstill touching the jack (a “kiss”), but transfers enough momentum to the jack for it to roll away and stop closer to an opposing player’s wood.

11.   An area in an ice skating rink where figure skaters rest while awaiting their results after a competitive performance. So named because competitors typically celebrate or commiserate (depending on their performance) with coaches, friends, or family in this location.

-- Tim L

France International/Mike Shefler

Mar 12, 2023, 12:53:44 PM3/12/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll fall for 9 and 10.

--Mike

Tony Abell

Mar 12, 2023, 4:44:06 PM3/12/23
to Shani Naylor

I'll try 4 and 5:

nancygoat

Mar 12, 2023, 6:28:08 PM3/12/23
to Dixonary
10 and 11 for me.

Nancy

Efrem Mallach

Mar 13, 2023, 1:41:31 PM3/13/23
to 'France International/Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
10 and 11 both sound vaguely plausible. Can't say as much for the others, including my own.

Efrem