Round 3337 WESLEY-BOB Defs - Vote Now!

Tim Lodge

Mar 30, 2023, 12:56:35 PM3/30/23
to Dixonary
Here we have 10 Defs defs of the word WESLEY-BOB, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        09:00 UTC/GMT on Saturday 1st April
        10:00 BST in London
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EDT in New York
         2:00 AM PDT in California
        21:00 NZST in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** WESLEY-BOB ***

 1. A subspecies of the Northern bobwhite.

 2. _English regional (Yorkshire)_. A Christmas decoration.

 3. A poor deal accepted out of an unwillingness to haggle.

 4. Any of several British service revolvers of the 19th century.

 5. In some forms of square dancing, a bow and a curtsy made during a do-si-do.

 6. A slight bow given to nineteenth century protestant ministers as a mark of respect.

 7. A parochial school haircut that is markedly similar for both boys and girls in attendance.

 8. Bobbing for mince pies in a barrel of bran. Big houses used to keep mince pies warm for wassailers in this way.

 9. Popular hair style among female Methodist clergy, considered feminine without being overly showy or provocative.

10. A two-seater taxi-cab licensed in 1926 when Sir Robert Wesley (1865–1932) was Home Secretary, and given his nickname.

Judy Madnick

Mar 30, 2023, 1:08:10 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
7 and 9, please.

Judy Madnick

Mar 30, 2023, 2:13:00 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 3 and 4.

--Mike

Paul Keating

Mar 30, 2023, 3:37:33 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for 1 & 2. I did read them all, but they seemed to me to be presented roughly in order of descending credibility.

Shani Naylor

Mar 30, 2023, 4:17:09 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Paul & I'll vote 1 & 3.

John Barrs

Mar 30, 2023, 4:34:39 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
#2 and #7 for me please

JohnnyB

Chowie

Mar 30, 2023, 4:54:04 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I have no clue. One and 2, please.

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

The Word became flesh and made ​H​is dwelling among us. We have seen ​H​is glory, the glory of the one and only Son, ​W​ho came from the Father, full of grace and truth​.​

Tim B

Mar 30, 2023, 5:24:22 PM3/30/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 7, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Nadi Kay

Mar 31, 2023, 11:29:24 AM3/31/23
to Dixonary
8 and 9 : ) Disagreeing with Paul and Shani.
Nadi Kay