Round 3335 GURGOLION Reminder

Tim Lodge

Mar 21, 2023, 8:52:55 AM3/21/23
to Dixonary
This is a very early remeinder, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to post a later one.  With 22 hours to go, I've now received defs of the word GURGOLION from the following 7 players:

                   Johnny Barrs, Nadi  Kay, Paul Keating, Judy Madnick, Alan Mallach, Mike Shefler, and Nancy Shepherdson,

There's room for plenty more, so if your name isn't here, please send me a def by email to d...@timlodge.co.uk before the deadline of:

10:00 UTC/GMT on Wednesday 22nd March
        11:00 CET in France and the Netherlands
         5:00 AM EDT in New York
         2:00 AM PDT in California
        23:00 NZDT in New Zealand

--  Tim L

Efrem Mallach

Mar 21, 2023, 9:02:32 AM3/21/23
to 'Mike Shefler' via Dixonary
Tim,

You'd get more definitions if you'd post something that could possibly be a real word, not something invented by juvenile science-fiction or fantasy writers.

Efrem

Judy Madnick

Mar 21, 2023, 9:38:17 AM3/21/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
LOL!

Mar 22, 2023, 6:27:24 PM3/22/23
to Dixonary

It has been a lot harder doing this on my tablet than I expected.  I didn't seem to be able start a new thread, so I've tacked this on to the reminder. I’ve set the voting deadline in the hope that I’ll have access to PC by then!

Here we have 12 Defs defs of the word GURGOLION, only one of which comes from my dictionary.  Please vote for your two favourites by public reply to this message before the deadline, which is:

        21:00 UTC/GMT on Friday 24th March

        22:00 CET in France and the Netherlands

         4:00 PM EST in New York

         1:00 PM PsT in California

        09:00 NZDT  on Saturday in New Zealand

New players are welcome - just don't look up the word until after you've voted.

--  Tim L

 *** GURGOLION ***

1.     A hangman's noose.

2.     a group of nerve fibres with no nerve cell bodies.

3.     An 18th century woman’s hairstyle in which the hair is arranged over wire cages, powdered with starch and adorned with feathers, ribbons and jewels.

4.     _Alchemy_. an infusion.

5.     A rare species of grass found only in the Pacific Ring of Fire region.

6.     _Pathology._ (no longer in technical use; now considered offensive) former term for Hurler syndrome.

7.     a musical instrument similar to a hurdy-gurdy, but lacking drone strings.

8.     Any of various insects of the family _Myrmeleontidae_, having large-jawed larvae that dig a conical crater in the sand to trap ants and other insects for food.

9.     [Obs.] Hiccoughs.

10.   An ornate table decoration that holds utensils, etc.

11.   The name of the muscle group responsible for allowing snakes to loosen their jaws to swallow prey.

 12. A weevil.

Paul Keating

Mar 22, 2023, 7:21:32 PM3/22/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I vote for 1 and 9.

Nadi Kay

Mar 22, 2023, 9:15:13 PM3/22/23
to Dixonary
2 and 5 : )
---Nadi Kay

Judy Madnick

Mar 22, 2023, 9:15:43 PM3/22/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

A lot of very different definitions to choose from! I'll go with these:

3.     An 18th century woman’s hairstyle in which the hair is arranged over wire cages, powdered with starch and adorned with feathers, ribbons and jewels.

and

10.   An ornate table decoration that holds utensils, etc.

Judy Madnick

Daniel B Widdis

Mar 22, 2023, 11:35:20 PM3/22/23
to Dixonary

Apologies for not getting a def in.

Only 9 and 12 look believable to me.

--

Dan Widdis

Shani Naylor

Mar 23, 2023, 3:18:52 AM3/23/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Disregarding anything to do with gurgling, I'll vote 4 & 7.

 4.     _Alchemy_. an infusion.

 7.     a musical instrument similar to a hurdy-gurdy, but lacking drone strings.

Tim B

Mar 23, 2023, 4:58:01 AM3/23/23
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
8 and 12, please.