ROUND 3184 - OPHIURAN - VOTE NOW!

Judy Madnick

Jul 22, 2021, 9:21:05 AM7/22/21
to Dixo...@googlegroups.com
Here are 14 definitions for the word OPHIURAN shared as I received them -- but only one is correct. Please send your votes by responding to the Dixonary group for what you believe are two definitions most likely to have come from a dictionary. The deadline for voting is  Saturday, July 24, 2021, at 9 a.m. http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc Hope you don't mind the roughly 48-hour turnaround time, but Friday evening doesn't look possible for me.

Any misspellings, weird spacing, etc., are my fault and not an indication of the accuracy of a particular definition.

Good luck!

Judy Madnick

1. (Brit., early 20th century) A preening dandy, one given to exotic, brightly colored dress; orig. after a lost civilization depicted in a novel by H. Rider Haggard.

2. earthenware decorated by applying to the glazing metallic oxides, which acquire brilliancy in the process of baking.

3. An award cast in gold or gold clad.

4. Of or relating to the Biblical city of Ophir.

5. a very large and widely distributed genus of brittle stars.

6. twining as of climbing plants and lianas [from Gr. ophissnake]

7. a starfish.

8. Constricting; excessively tight.

9. Characterized by an iridescent tarnish.

10. (Microbiology) Any of a group of spirally coiled rodlike bacteria that includes the causative agent of syphilis.

11. An engineered stone used as a substitute for marble.

12. shore-dwelling [Gr.]

13. Any mammal of the order _Ophiura_, which includes marsupial omnivores such as bandicoots and bilbies.

14. A distortion-producing lens used to create a dreamlike quality.

Good luck!

Judy Madnick

Tim B

Jul 22, 2021, 2:25:28 PM7/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 13, please.

Best wishes,
Tim B.

amal...@comcast.net

Jul 22, 2021, 2:27:04 PM7/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

Judy – I’ll go with 2 and 9, somewhat related.

Alan

Fein, Deborah

Jul 22, 2021, 2:39:32 PM7/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
1 and  14.

Deborah Fein, Ph.D.
UConn Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychological Sciences
Department of Pediatrics
University of Connecticut
debora...@uconn.edu

Jul 22, 2021, 3:23:39 PM7/22/21
to Dixonary
7 and 14 please

Johnb - co.uk

Jul 22, 2021, 4:31:21 PM7/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go for the starfish #5 and #7 please
JohnnyB

Tim Lodge

Jul 22, 2021, 5:10:34 PM7/22/21
to Dixonary
I'll reach for tha stars: 5 and 7.

          5. a very large and widely distributed genus of brittle stars.

          7. a starfish.

--  Tim L

Paul Keating

Jul 22, 2021, 5:20:30 PM7/22/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with the crowd: 5 & 7.

Daniel B Widdis

Jul 22, 2021, 5:36:16 PM7/22/21
to Dixonary

I’ll believe 6’s etymology and assume 10 is similarly derived

nancygoat

Jul 23, 2021, 12:34:37 AM7/23/21
to Dixonary
I'll take 6 and 10.

Nancy

Shani Naylor

Jul 23, 2021, 3:19:48 AM7/23/21
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll follow the crowd with 5 & 7.

5. a very large and widely distributed genus of brittle stars.

7. a starfish.

Hero’s fall Cunningham

Jul 23, 2021, 7:02:05 AM7/23/21
to Dixonary
2 and 7 for no reason at all

dave

Ryan McGill

Jul 23, 2021, 11:36:59 AM7/23/21
to Dixonary
Congratulations to everyone on crafting such convincing—or at least confusing—definitions. I have my suspicions about which are correct, but limited to two votes, I'm going to go like Moana with the shore-dwellers and the shiny:

9 and 12, please.