Zekr: Qur'an study tool

SoE

Jun 21, 2010, 3:19:16 PM6/21/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
hey guys. I've been working on Dhivehi translation for this
program...actually this was done some time ago as a sort of pet
project. I was wondering if somebody could check it out..make
suggestions for corrections/improvements.

i tried to stick to the translation guidelines on it (for
consistency's sake)

link to prog : http://zekr.org

Naail A. Rahman

Jun 21, 2010, 3:20:23 PM6/21/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
oops..forgot to attach the translation file.
here it is
dhivehi.xml

Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

Jun 22, 2010, 1:51:54 AM6/22/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com
SoE (Naail),

Welcome back, will take some time to check it out. Once done will report back to you.

Kudos to you, nice job.

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

SoE

Jun 22, 2010, 2:30:24 AM6/22/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
thanks Shunan.

good to be back. I'm heading back to Male' soon. Will attend meetings
from then on.

On Jun 22, 10:51 am, Yusuf Abdulla Shunan <shu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SoE (Naail),
>
> Welcome back, will take some time to check it out. Once done will report
> back to you.
>
> Kudos to you, nice job.
>
> SalamUbuntu localization project
> Yusuf Abdulla Shunan
>
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Naail A. Rahman <kuda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > oops..forgot to attach the translation file.
> > here it is
>
> > On 06/22/2010 12:49 AM, SoE wrote:
> > > hey guys. I've been working on Dhivehi translation for this
> > > program...actually this was done some time ago as a sort of pet
> > > project. I was wondering if somebody could check it out..make
> > > suggestions for corrections/improvements.
>
> > > i tried to stick to the translation guidelines on it (for
> > > consistency's sake)
>
> > > link to prog :http://zekr.org
>
> > --
> > .

Naail A. Rahman

Jun 24, 2010, 2:05:16 PM6/24/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone.

I've been wondering about the Zekr project. I started work on it a long time ago and I wanna get it back up and running again.

Basically what I wanna do is achieve something like this.

I'm wondering if I should push this as a MOSS project or pursue it independently? I'm unsure of how to proceed with it right now.

I face two problems at the moment

1) the translation files found on presidencymaldives website is in PDF. While it is copyable it's not really suitable for mining the data because it doesn't appear to be completely unicode. All the Arabic text appear jumbled.

so that leaves two options :- either type the thing out manually, or try to contact somebody with the ministry and get the original text.

in the former case I've already set up documents on googledocs so a number of people can contribute towards it. in the latter case, I don't know who I'm supposed to contact.

2) Is the translation under any kind of copyright? if we do make the translation-pack for the software, can we freely distribute it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Yusuf

Jun 28, 2010, 1:45:48 AM6/28/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
I think we will have to type the whole thing again from scratch...

The encoding in the pdf is not right, and I am doing some research for
data mining, will let you know if it work out in any way...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

On Jun 24, 11:05 pm, "Naail A. Rahman" <kuda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I've been wondering about the Zekr project. I started work on it a long
> time ago and I wanna get it back up and running again.
>
> Basically what I wanna do is achieve something like this.

Mohamed Ali

Jun 28, 2010, 2:25:11 AM6/28/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com

I think this will require some type of approval from Islamic ministry
regarding the Dhivehi translation,

Naail A. Rahman

Jun 28, 2010, 3:27:40 AM6/28/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com
Responding to what Sobah suggested in the LUG thread,

shall we set-up a meeting with the Islamic ministry?

Inash Zubair

Jun 27, 2010, 8:17:24 AM6/27/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com
Naail,

Excellent work with Zekr. I think it's a tough project and getting
this to go smoothly won't be without hassle. You don't need to push
this any where as a project. Now that you have shared it with the
community, I'm sure interested people will be more than willing to get
formalities done here on your behalf. You can just continue doing so
by yourself, ask for help here, and share translation guidelines with
people who're interested and wants to contribute.

Let's see people reply to this. We need to check if there's a freely
available translation that can be used for the purpose of localizing
Zekr. In this case, it's a FOSS application and not something that
we're going to sell, which means if the translation is copyrighted, we
can maintain the attribution and go ahead using it with a permission.

If that's the case, I can't see where there would be a problem with
distributing a bundled package of the translation or putting it
upstream Zekr.

Cheers.

--
Inash Zubair

Yusuf

Jun 29, 2010, 5:56:09 AM6/29/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
If my information is correct, the translation is public as it is done
and corrected, as and when needed, by the Authorities (have no idea to
pin point heads). Anyways, what is copyrighted is the electronically
typed and printed version, I think Novelty holds the rights, and so
the government is paying Novelty for every copy of printed Quran that
is given away! Not sure... Correct me if I am wrong...

So it would be fine if we decided to type the whole thing and give the
rights to the community. Which is where it actually should have
belonged in the first place...

From the looks of it I don't think we can get the digital version, so
I am all in and would be happily typing, if it is the only way...

Let's do it and make this translation a property of the public
domain...

Salam
Yusuf Abdulla Shunan

SoE

Jul 15, 2010, 7:56:47 AM7/15/10
to Dhivehi Translation/Localization Team
Hey guys.

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. There has been some good
progress of late. I'd love to see more contributors of course but the
project is chugging along happily. I was hoping we'd get more
contributions during the upcoming month of Ramazan. If you know any
people who're willing to help type it out, do get them involved. The
more the merrier as they say.

meanwhile I've pushed the localization pack upstream, made some fine
adjustments to it.

btw... I'm back in Male' now... hoping to show up at the next meet.

Naail A. Rahman

Jul 17, 2010, 4:26:11 AM7/17/10
to divtran...@googlegroups.com
...IT IS DONE!!!!!!!