Cascading <metadata> element in map

Masayuki Yamane

Aug 12, 2022, 12:11:37 AM8/12/22
to DITA-OT Users
Hi,

It seems that map <othermeta> cascading behavior was changed for Issue #1899 by PR #3326.  Since my DITA-OT upgrade is not cascading it, I have a problem.

There are two different <othermeta> in map.
  1. <topicmeta>/<othermeta>

If this was expected, it won't be easy to set HTML <meta> to certain set of HTML topic output.  Do we always need to specialize <data> to accomplish that?

Thank you,
Masayuki Yamane

Chris Papademetrious

Aug 17, 2022, 6:43:13 PM8/17/22
to DITA-OT Users
Hi Yamane-san,

I was also investigating metadata cascading when you posted this, so I wanted to share my results.

When metadata is directly defined in a topic reference, then the HTML for that topic's HTML gets the metadata shown in green:

cascade1.png

When this topic reference also contains a nested subtopic reference, then that subtopic's HTML gets the metadata shown in green:

cascade2.png

When the metadata is placed in a <mapref> instead of a <topicref>, then the metadata does not go into the HTML output at all:

cascade3.png

I did not spend time comparing these results against the DITA 1.3 specification at

but I wanted to at least share the data.

 - Chris

Masayuki Yamane

Aug 17, 2022, 11:17:02 PM8/17/22
to DITA-OT Users
Thank you, Chris, for sharing your data!  While I have never tested the third submap case, the earlier two cases are representing exactly what I am seeing.

From my later research, I have realized that DITA 1.2 specification is stating <othermeta> will cascade.

Attributes and metadata that cascade

The following attributes and metadata elements cascade:

Metadata elements
  • author, source, publisher, copyright, critdates, permissions
  • audience, category, prodinfo, othermeta

So, this DITA-OT preprocessing behavior seems to be an issue for DITA 1.2 standard supportability at least.

Thank you and best regards,
Masayuki Yamane