Surfacing resourceid > appid in HTML5

Dave Koelmeyer

Sep 13, 2021, 12:50:53 AM9/13/21
to dita-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm after a way to surface the resourceid element (specifically its appid attribute) of a DITA topic in DITA-OT's HTML5 output.

I see from https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues/2630 that this isn't supported in HTML5 output. But Radu's final comment indicates that I could possibly make a plug-in to do this.

Does anyone have experience doing this? I have no knowledge of DITA-OT plugin development; I can learn it but ideally someone could help with some information about whether it's feasible before I start.

For context, we use Oxygen XML Webhelp as one system for our docs. We have a new requirement to pipe the same content into various apps—basically to make in-app help. For various reasons, we cannot use WebHelp for the in-app help. So we're using a parallel publishing pipeline with a dedicated instance of DITA-OT. We need some method of assigning a UUID to each topic for the in-app help system; resourceid looks like the semantically correct element to use. The Oxygen folks helped me with a similar question about surfacing audience metadata (https://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/post63196.html); this was easy to do with Oxygen's XPath macro. So I'm basically after a similar result with DITA-OT.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Koelmeyer

Sep 13, 2021, 3:32:15 AM9/13/21
to dita-o...@googlegroups.com
Looking into this more, it looks like repurposing the Dublin Core plug-in for DITA-OT HTML5 might get me most of the way there, correct?

Michael H.

Sep 15, 2021, 10:03:26 AM9/15/21
to DITA-OT Users
You might get a better response from the other group…

This group was originally created for questions specifically about DITA-OT, and your question certainly is that. But in practice, over the years, this group has seen very little use compared to the other one. I think the only reason why this group still exists is because everyone has a Google account while not everyone wants to create a separate Groups.io account.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in your solution. I'm in a similar situation: I'm stuck on DITA-OT 1.8.5 because I'm dependent on the Moldflow plugins to produce .chm files with support for context-sensitive help links. Those Moldflow plugins also use resourceid.

Dave Koelmeyer

Sep 16, 2021, 1:12:59 AM9/16/21
to Michael H., DITA-OT Users
Hey Michael,

Ha -- had no idea there was even a different group! I'll subscribe and post over there. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Dave