PDF comments rather than changebars

Tejas Barhate

Jan 23, 2024, 7:00:04 AMJan 23
to DITA-OT Users
Hi all,

At DeltaXML, we have a requirement from a potential customer to create PDF comments rather than changebars while transforming DITA Mark up with changes to PDF using DITA OT. This way the comments can be used during review process to keep the track of conversation for every change.

Is there a way to do something like this using DITA OT ? Please advise.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Tejas

Radu Coravu

Jan 23, 2024, 7:17:39 AMJan 23
to Tejas Barhate, DITA-OT Users

Hi Tejas,

I would encourage you to use the DITA OT discussions list in the future instead as this email group is kind of deprecated:
https://github.com/orgs/dita-ot/discussions

The problem is more about the PDF processor used by the DITA OT being able to create PDF comments based on XSL-FO.

From what I know XSL-FO does not have a standard way to define PDF comments/annotations in it. And the Apache FOP PDF processor does not have support to output PDFs which contain comments/annotations. Maybe the Antenna House PDF processor has some XSL-FO extension for this...

For the Oxygen PDF Chemistry engine for example which is based on CSS we produce comments in the PDF for Oxygen change tracking by using a separate Java library to post process the PDF.

Regards,

Radu

Radu Coravu
Oxygen XML Editor