Java Distroless Images for non-LTS versions

Nuno Marujo

Jul 13, 2022, 7:40:19 AM7/13/22
to Distroless Users
Hi,

I know that currently there are distroless images for Java 11 and 17 (both LTS) being maintained.

Java 18 is out there (released on March 22, 2022) and I'm wondering if there any plans to support distroless images for non-TLS versions up until the new LTS one is released (which would be Java 21, planned to be released on September 2023).

Java is bringing many cool features with each release recently and I think this would be very valuable for people that would like to be on the latest version, while still being able to take advantage of all the amazing things distroless provides.

Thanks

Andrew Latham

Jul 13, 2022, 11:12:32 AM7/13/22
to Distroless Users

- Andrew "lathama" Latham -

Appu Goundan

Jul 13, 2022, 11:32:26 AM7/13/22
to distrole...@googlegroups.com
The short lifespan of non-lts version makes adding + removing them a bit annoying. What we do want (and could be working towards) is making distroless easy enough to extend so users may just build out the images exactly as they desire. There's also other tools in open source to do this: apko comes to mind right now, if you're okay with alpine.

Nuno Marujo

Jul 14, 2022, 3:39:24 AM7/14/22
to Distroless Users
Hi. What you mean by "if you can install 22 on Debian"? What exactly is "22"? Thanks!

Andrew Latham

Jul 14, 2022, 9:35:36 AM7/14/22
to Distroless Users