Java 17 multiarch images missing java ·

Chandranana

Aug 4, 2023, 6:20:32 AM8/4/23
to Distroless Users
Hi Team,

I was trying to create a dockerfile using gcr.io/distroless/java17-debian11:nonroot-ppc64le. However while I try to create a container for this base image the container creation fails as java is not available for power architecture. Can u please verify this and provide a workaround for us to use this image.

Error logs are here for all image variants tried:

docker run --entrypoint java gcr.io/distroless/java17-debian11:latest-ppc64le --version
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: exec: "java": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown.
ERRO[0000] error waiting for container: context canceled

docker run --entrypoint java gcr.io/distroless/java17-debian11:nonroot-ppc64le --version
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: exec: "java": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown.
ERRO[0000] error waiting for container: context canceled

docker run --entrypoint java gcr.io/distroless/java17-debian11:debug-ppc64le --version
docker: Error response from daemon: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: exec: "java": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown.
ERRO[0040] error waiting for container: context canceled

I have also found a similar issue here - Java 11 and 17 multiarch debug images missing java · Issue #906 · GoogleContainerTools/distroless (github.com)

Chandranana

Aug 7, 2023, 12:06:21 AM8/7/23
to Distroless Users
Team,

Any pointers on this?

Andrew Latham

Aug 7, 2023, 11:05:42 AM8/7/23
to distrole...@googlegroups.com
I see `lr-xr-xr-x 0/0               0 1999-12-31 17:00 usr/bin/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk-ppc64le/bin/java`

You may want to use the full path on your entrypoint

$  tar -tvf myrarball.tar

I looked at the largest tarball and saw the above pasted entry

- Andrew "lathama" Latham -