abundance.est in dsm model

olga30dec

Jul 14, 2021, 9:55:45 AM7/14/21
to distance-sampling
Dear all,

I am struggling to understand how to access response variable abundance.est in dsm model. At the moment I am fitting  family = quasipoisson(link = "log")
However model diagnostics shows that this distribution family does not fit well.
I tried to fit gamma but I get error: Non-Positive values not allowed for the gamma.
Where do I get  non positive values from? I am trying to inspect my response variable, but I cannot find the way to access it.

Many thanks for your help,
Olga

Eric Rexstad

Jul 14, 2021, 10:03:42 AM7/14/21
to olga30dec, distance-sampling

Olga

The short answer to your question regarding the error arising from trying to fit a gamma is that 0 is a non-positive value.  Therefore segments without detections will have 0 as the abundance; the gamma does not like this.

Eric Rexstad
Centre for Ecological and Environmental Modelling
University of St Andrews
St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland SC013532

Olga Lyashevska

Jul 15, 2021, 4:35:07 AM7/15/21
to distance-sampling
Thank you very much Eric for this clarification. This makes sense. What distribution within dsm (or mgcv) can deal with zero-inflation? Segmentation introduces zeros, the number of which which depend on the size of segments. The only option I see is zero-inflated Poisson, however adundance.est is not count. What would be the best way to address this?  Thanks for your help!

Eric Rexstad

Jul 18, 2021, 6:26:18 AM7/18/21
to Olga Lyashevska, distance-sampling