Info DS Analysis

Niccolò Bavieri

Mar 8, 2024, 6:46:33 AMMar 8
to distance-sampling
Good morning,

Some questions about Distance Sampling Analyses.

In my study, I have travelled many transects with a thermal imaging camera (some of them even of short length) and in several I have made no observations (thus entering NA in the "distance" column). I am performing cluster analyses because in some cases the animals were grouped together. My question is: what should I specify in the "size" column for those transects with zero observations? Do I repeat the NA entry again as for distance?

And then another perplexity. How is it possible that in the summay of the model, the "Covered Area" is greater than the value entered in the "Area" column for each area? How is the Covered Area calculated? I assume it is based on the values in the "Effort" column, but how is it possible that it is greater than the total area entered? Obviously the value entered in the "Area" column (all open areas of the area under consideration) is greater than the area covered, i.e. the area affected by the transects....
What could this be due to?

Thank you very much and have a nice day,
NB