dsm - how to deal with zero-inflation?

Thayusky da Penha

Apr 19, 2023, 10:15:57 AM4/19/23
to distance...@googlegroups.com
Dear distance samplers,

I have successfully modelled dolphin population size using the 'Distance' package in R.
As I am using data from a very heterogeneous area in terms of oceanographic features, I've  decided to go forward  and use the 'dsm' package to include environmental covariates.

However, I have to deal with zero inflation and I don't know how to do that using 'dsm' (?).
Does anyone have an explanation and/or solution to my question?

With kind regards,

--
 Thayusky da Penha Correa (she/her)
Ph.D. student in Ecology

Eric Rexstad

Apr 19, 2023, 11:57:01 AM4/19/23
to thayusky, distance...@googlegroups.com
Thay

Almost everyone who uses the dsm​ package has a large proportion of their segments without detections. You way wish to consider use of the Tweedie distribution to add flexibility to your modelling coming from overdispersion. The subject is briefly discussed in this case study: