dht2 - individuals/clusters

Camille Ollier

Feb 23, 2024, 11:53:19 AMFeb 23
to distance-sampling
Hello,

Out of curiosity, is it possible to get the abundance of clusters and individuals (including CV, se etc.) using the `dht2` function, similar to the `ds` function with summary?

Alternatively, should I manually remove the "size" column if I want to estimate the abundance of clusters with all the associated information?

I ask this question because I intend to compare the abundance of clusters and individuals.

Thank you in advance

Best regards,
Camille

Eric Rexstad

Feb 23, 2024, 2:00:10 PMFeb 23
to Camille Ollier, distance-sampling
Camille

You continue to push the boundaries of analyses. I have never passed a data set with groups through dht2​, so I didn't know the answer to your question.

Performing an experiment with a data set that contains groups, and passing a fitted model object into dht2​, it appears dht2​ will only produce estimates of individual density and abundance.  I've submitted an issue for our programming team to address.
When given data for animals observed in groups, dht2 only produces estimates of individual density and abundance. It does not produce estimates of group density or abundance. data("ClusterExercise"...

The work-around you propose (remove (or rename)) the size column will work as long as group size is not involved in the detection function modelling.

Feb 26, 2024, 5:28:40 AMFeb 26
to distance-sampling

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response, and I understand.

I appreciate that you have submitted the issue to your programming team.

Best,
Camille