Distance Sampling Beginner

Ehigie O. Timothy

Jul 19, 2021, 9:37:34 AMJul 19
to distance...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I am a beginner here and I have watched and downloaded the materials which am still studying.

I am putting up a team here in my institution (Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi, Edo State, Nigeria) whereby we desire to explore this area of distance sampling.

We are on a project in this area and have challenges on getting the area of interest mapped as there are no existing maps.

This target region is Erar- Warrake- Ihieve- Afuze
Axis in Edo North, Owan East Local Government Area, Edo State, Nigeria.
This area has different species of animals that are being hunted for food by hunters within and outside the region.

Our interest is on estimating the abundance of Monkeys in the region.

Your kind assistance is much appreciated.

Eric Rexstad

Jul 19, 2021, 10:02:43 AMJul 19
to Ehigie O. Timothy, distance...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like a worthwhile project.  What assistance do you need specifically; a shape file of your proposed study area?  That would be the first step in designing a distance sampling survey.

We could simplistically draw a study area boundary using the QGIS software with a Google Earth base map.  But I do not know the region to know if the boundaries I would draw would be reasonable.  Perhaps we should correspond outside the list, using my email directly.

Eric Rexstad
Centre for Ecological and Environmental Modelling
University of St Andrews
St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland SC013532