Post-analysis comparison of one species density between two habitats

Dayron Lopez

Mar 30, 2021, 6:41:02 AM3/30/21
to distance...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone
Hope you all are staying healthy in this pandemic situation.
These days I am using the software Distance to analyse some data for training. The dataset contains observations of one species of bird and it is divided in two strata that correspond to two different habitats.
I have read on one article that it is possible to use a Student's t-test "specific" procedure for a comparison of densities in the two habitats and that this procedure is described in Buckland et al.(1993) but I cannot find it there.
Does anyone know about this "specific procedure" described in Buckland et al.? Does anyone have another simple option?

Thank you all in advance for the attention

Greetings

Dayron Lopez

Stephen Buckland

Mar 30, 2021, 7:04:35 AM3/30/21
to Dayron Lopez, distance...@googlegroups.com

The 1993 book is pretty dated now, not sure if it addresses this issue specifically.  The 2001 book does – see pp84-86 and pp89-91.

Steve Buckland

Eric Rexstad

Mar 30, 2021, 7:09:33 AM3/30/21
to Dayron Lopez, distance...@googlegroups.com

Dayron

If you are conversant in R, there is a function that performs tests of density estimates between two strata.  The code and demonstration of its use and interpretation can be found at

http://examples.distancesampling.org/differences/differences.html

Eric Rexstad
Centre for Ecological and Environmental Modelling
University of St Andrews
St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland SC013532

Dayron Lopez

Mar 31, 2021, 3:59:35 AM3/31/21
to Eric Rexstad, st...@st-andrews.ac.uk, distance...@googlegroups.com
Thank you a lot Eric and Stephen, I'll try both!
Have a nice day

Dayron Lopez