using complex spatial smoothers in 'dsm'

Kimberly Nielsen

Feb 28, 2022, 6:20:46 PM2/28/22
to distance-sampling
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on complex spatial smoothers. Has anyone incorporated  CReSS (package `MRSea`) with `dsm`? Is there an easy way to integrate these two packages? At the moment I'm fitting my selected detection functions (which I originally fit in `Distance`) using `ddf()` in `MRSea`, but I'm more familiar with the code in `dsm`. Our study area is a pretty complex region along the coast of British Columbia so edge effects are of concern. Should I just be using a soap film smoother in `dsm`?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best,
Kimberly

Eric Rexstad

Mar 1, 2022, 3:27:50 AM3/1/22
to Kimberly Nielsen, distance-sampling
Kim

The short answer is "no", there is no integration between the MRSea package and the dsm package.  The middle ground you suggest of using the soap film smoother is worth investigation.