Summer distance sampling workshop series - registration open

Len Thomas

Jun 1, 2021, 12:39:20 PM6/1/21
to distance-sampling
University of St Andrews online distance sampling training workshops

Registration is now open for our latest online interactive training
workshops. Join us by video from anywhere around the world! For full
details, and to register, please go to

https://workshops.distancesampling.org

This summer we are offering three workshops:

1. Spatially explicit models for distance sampling data: density surface
modelling in practice, 16th-20th August 2021.

2. Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 30th-31st
August 2021.

3. A practical guide to distance sampling survey design and simulation,
13th, 14th and 16th September 2021. (Registration to open very shortly.)

More details on each are given below. All 3 workshops are intended for
participants who already have some knowledge of distance sampling, for
example by having taken an introductory workshop in person or online
(either interactively or via our free pre-recorded online introductory
course). You should also have experience using R. Prior to each
workshop we will run a software test meeting to ensure everyone can
participate satisfactorily.

Enrollment on each workshop is limited to 15.

Workshop 1. Spatially explicit models for distance sampling data:
density surface modelling in practice
===========

16-20 August 2021, 16:00-18:00 British Summer Time (BST - i.e., GMT+1).

This online course will cover how to fit spatial models to distance
sampling data ("density surface modelling") in R. This will include:

- Brief overview of distance sampling
- Generalized additive models
- Fitting, checking and selecting density surface models
- Predicting abundance
- Making maps

Examples will be based around a line transect survey of sperm whales in
the western Atlantic.

Instructor: Dave Miller

Format: The course will consist of 5 live sessions delivered over
videoconference. Between these sessions there will be practical R
exercises to complete and to assist with these practicals. Each
videoconference session will include time for lecturing and discussion
of practical exercises.

Cost: £250

Registration deadline: July 15th

More information, with links to registration:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/online-dsm-2021

Feel free to contact dl...@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.

Workshop 2. Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance.
===========

30th-31st August 2021 15:00-17:30 BST

Conventional distance sampling methods assume that all animals at zero
distance are detected with certainty. However, in some situations this
assumption is violated, and some animals are missed, causing a negative
bias in the density and abundance estimates.

This occurs on some shipboard surveys of marine mammals, for example,
where animals may be missed on the trackline because they are underwater
while the survey vessel passes, or because the sea conditions are rough
so that even some animals right on the line are missed. Bias due to the
former (being underwater and so not available for detection) is often
called availability bias and the latter perception bias.

In this two-day workshop, we cover survey protocols and analytical
methods for dealing with both perception bias and availability bias. The
workshop is intended for those already familiar with the basics of
distance sampling.

Instructors: Len Thomas and David Borchers

Format: The workshop will be a mix of live online interactive sessions,
delivered via videoconference software (Microsoft Teams), and computer
exercises. There will be two sessions in total, on successive days,
with a total class time of 5 hours (including breaks) and an additional
computer exercise to complete after the first day and before the second.
Exercises can be undertaken using Distance for Windows or R (via the
mrds package).

Cost: £150

Registration deadline: July 30th

More information, with links to registration:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/mrds-aug-2021

Feel free to contact len.t...@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.

Workshop 3. Practical design and simulation to optimise distance
sampling surveys
===========

13th September 15:00-17:00 BST
14th and 16th September 15:30-17:00 BST

Good survey design is critical for obtaining reliable results in
distance sampling surveys and meeting survey objectives. This workshop
expands on the basic theory provided in our introductory workshops to
demonstrate how our latest software can be used to generate optimal
survey designs while respecting budgetary and logistical constraints. We
will demonstrate survey design using our R package dssd, and investigate
design optimisation and the implications of deviations from our design
assumptions using our latest simulation package dsims. We will also
demonstrate the use of QGIS to obtain requisite input information.

We will explore a range of design challenges including, varying effort
by strata, optimising design under budgetary constraints and
multi-species designs by introducing case studies of both marine and
terrestrial surveys. Participants will gain further hands-on experience
with survey design and simulation in the form of a practical.
Discussions on the final day will be tailored to participants own survey
design challenges.

The workshop is designed to be interactive in format, with a chance for
participants to discuss their own design problems. We encourage
participants to book early and get in touch to let us know about
relevant design challenges.

Instructors: Laura Marshall, Len Thomas and Tiago Marques

Format: The workshop will be a mix of live online interactive sessions,
delivered via videoconference software (Microsoft Teams), and computer
exercises. There will be three sessions in total, with a total class
time of 5 hours (including breaks) and two additional computer exercises
to complete. It is advisable to allow around an hour and a half between
days 1 and 2, and days 2 and 3 to complete these exercises. The
exercises are in R using the dssd and dsims packages. We will
demonstrate the use of QGIS, but it is not required on particpant's
computers.

Cost: £175

Registration to open soon.

Registration deadline: July 30th

More information, with links to registration:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/design-sept-2021

Feel free to contact l...@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.

Len Thomas

Aug 4, 2021, 4:50:51 AM8/4/21
to distance-sampling
Dear Distance sampling list,

Just a reminder that registration for two of our summer workshops closes
in a few days (on August 7th).

The two workshops are:

Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 30th-31st
August 2021.

A practical guide to distance sampling survey design and simulation,
13th, 14th and 16th September 2021. (Registration to open very shortly.)

Details of these, and other workshops being offered later in the year,
are at

https://workshops.distancesampling.org