Upcoming workshops

Distance

Mar 31, 2022, 6:42:03 AMMar 31
to distance-sampling
Dear Distance List,

We have just added two upcoming workshops to our website:

  • Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys, 9-12 May 2022
  • Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 17-18 May 2022

Registration will open soon (~11th April). In the meantime, we invite applications for our free widening participation scholarship places on these courses (closing date 18th April).

Further information can be found at our workshop website:

Hope to see some of you live online in May!

Best wishes,

Laura

Dr. L Marshall

Distance Development Team

Centre for Research into Ecological & Environmental Modelling

University of St. Andrews

Len Thomas

Apr 4, 2022, 5:24:35 PMApr 4
to distance-sampling
Registration is now open for two online interactive training workshops.
Join us by video from anywhere around the world! The workshops are:

- Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys,
9-12 May 2022

- Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 17-18 May 2022

For full details, and to register, please go to

https://workshops.distancesampling.org

Some further details are given below. Both workshops are intended for
participants who already have some knowledge of distance sampling, for
example by having taken an introductory workshop in person or online
(either interactively or via our free pre-recorded online introductory
course). You should also have some experience using R. Prior to each
workshop we will run a software test meeting to ensure everyone can
participate satisfactorily.

Enrolment on each workshop is limited to 15.

=======================

Practical design and simulation to optimise distance sampling surveys

9th, 10th, 12th May 15:00 - 17:00 British summer time (BST - i.e., GMT+1)
11th May 1-day gap for self-study

Good survey design is critical for obtaining reliable results in
distance sampling surveys and meeting survey objectives. This workshop
expands on the basic theory provided in our introductory workshops to
demonstrate how our latest software can be used to generate optimal
survey designs while respecting budgetary and logistical constraints. We
will demonstrate survey design using our R package dssd, and investigate
design optimisation and the implications of deviations from our design
assumptions using our latest simulation package dsims. We will also
demonstrate the use of QGIS to obtain requisite input information.

We will explore a range of design challenges including, varying effort
by strata, optimising design under budgetary constraints and
multi-species designs by introducing case studies of both marine and
terrestrial surveys. Participants will gain further hands-on experience
with survey design and simulation in the form of a practical.
Discussions on the final day will be tailored to participants own survey
design challenges.

The workshop is designed to be interactive in format, with a chance for
participants to discuss their own design problems. We encourage
participants to book early and get in touch to let us know about
relevant design challenges.

Instructors: Laura Marshall and Len Thomas

Format: The workshop will be a mix of live online interactive sessions,
delivered via videoconference software (Microsoft Teams), and computer
exercises. There will be three sessions in total, with a total class
time of 6 hours (including breaks) and two additional computer exercises
to complete. It is advisable to allow around an hour and a half between
days 1 and 2, and days 2 and 3 to complete these exercises. The
exercises are in R using the dssd and dsims packages. We will
demonstrate the use of QGIS, but it is not required on particpant’s
computers.

Cost: £175

Registration deadline: April 29th

More information, with links to registration:
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/design-may-2022.html

Feel free to contact l...@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.

=======================

Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance

17th and 18th May 2021, 15:00-17:30 British Summer Time (BST - i.e., GMT+1).

Conventional distance sampling methods assume that all animals at zero
distance are detected with certainty. However, in some situations this
assumption is violated, and some animals are missed, causing a negative
bias in the density and abundance estimates.

This occurs on some shipboard surveys of marine mammals, for example,
where animals may be missed on the trackline because they are underwater
while the survey vessel passes, or because the sea conditions are rough
so that even some animals right on the line are missed. Bias due to the
former (being underwater and so not available for detection) is often
called availability bias and the latter perception bias.

In this two-day workshop, we cover survey protocols and analytical
methods for dealing with both perception bias and availability bias. The
workshop is intended for those already familiar with the basics of
distance sampling.

Instructors: Len Thomas and David Borchers

Format: The workshop will be a mix of live online interactive sessions,
delivered via videoconference software (Microsoft Teams), and computer
exercises. There will be two sessions in total, on successive days,
with a total class time of 5 hours (including breaks) and an additional
computer exercise to complete after the first day and before the second.
This exercise can be undertaken using Distance for Windows or R (via
the mrds package).

Cost: £150

https://workshops.distancesampling.org/mrds-may-2022.html

Feel free to contact len.t...@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information.