Camera trap distance sampling workshop: new date

Len Thomas

Sep 14, 2022, 4:09:10 AM9/14/22
to distance-sampling
Dear distance-sampling list,

Our online Camera Trap Distance Sampling workshop dates have been moved, to
10-14th October. The closing date for registration is 30th September. More
information about of this and our other upcoming workshops is given below. Our
main workshop web page is https://workshops.distancesampling.org/

Best to all, Len Thomas

Camera trap distance sampling, 10-14 October 2022
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/ctds-oct-2022

Camera traps are widely used for studying terrestrial animal populations.
Several methods exist for analysis of camera trap data to estimate animal
abundance. Use of distance sampling theory for analysis of camera trap data does
not require identification of individual animals to estimate abundance, making
it applicable to a much larger set of species. This workshop, through lectures
and computer exercises, provides training in survey design and the analysis of
camera trap data to produce abundance estimates.

Distance sampling when animals are missed at zero distance, 28 & 31 October 2022
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/mrds-oct-2022

Conventional distance sampling methods assume that all animals at zero distance
are detected with certainty. However, in some situations this assumption is
violated, and some animals are missed, causing a negative bias in the density
and abundance estimates.
This occurs on some shipboard surveys of marine mammals, for example, where
animals may be missed on the trackline because they are underwater while the
survey vessel passes, or because the sea conditions are rough so that even some
animals right on the line are missed. Bias due to the former (being underwater
and so not available for detection) is often called availability bias and the
latter perception bias.
In this two-day workshop, we cover survey protocols and analytical methods for
dealing with both perception bias and availability bias. The workshop is
intended for those already familiar with the basics of distance sampling.

A practical guide to distance sampling survey design and simulation, 1 - 4
November 2022
https://workshops.distancesampling.org/design-nov-2022

Good survey design is critical for obtaining reliable results in distance
sampling surveys and meeting survey objectives. This workshop expands on the
basic theory provided in our introductory workshops to demonstrate how our
latest software can be used to generate optimal survey designs while respecting
budgetary and logistical constraints. We will demonstrate survey design using
our R package dssd, and investigate design optimisation and the implications of
deviations from our design assumptions using our latest simulation package
dsims. We will also demonstrate the use of QGIS to obtain requisite input
information.
We will explore a range of design challenges including, varying effort by
strata, optimising design under budgetary constraints and multi-species designs
by introducing case studies of both marine and terrestrial surveys. Participants
will gain further hands-on experience with survey design and simulation in the
form of a practical. Discussions on the final day will be tailored to
participants own survey design challenges.
The workshop is designed to be interactive in format, with a chance for
participants to discuss their own design problems. We encourage participants to
book early and get in touch to let us know about relevant design challenges.

--
Len Thomas (he/him) len.t...@st-andrews.ac.uk lenthomas.org @len_thom
Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling

The University of St Andrews is a charity
registered in Scotland, No SC013532.