Issues with Data Import Wizard (import aborted)

Fay Frost

Jul 15, 2022, 9:37:40 AM7/15/22
to distance-sampling
Hi everyone,

I am having major issues trying to import a dataset.

When I have uploaded my dataset and specified which columns are the Region>Line Transect>Observations etc the wizard tries to import this data but produces errors and only imports a small fraction of my data, if any at all.

The error is:
"Error in line 1 importing a column from the 'Observation' layer
~Failed to add data to layer"
... to many errors import aborted

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have tried
-using both txt/csv files
-removing NAs
-replacing NAs with blank cell

Thanks,
Fay

Distance

Jul 15, 2022, 6:22:10 PM7/15/22
to Fay Frost, distance-sampling
Dear Fay,

Sorry to hear of your problems with Distance.
Could you please send me your dataset and I'll take a look.

Kind regards,
Laura

Dr. L Marshall

Centre for Research into Ecological & Environmental Modelling

University of St. Andrews

Tel: +44 (0)1334 461808

Please note that my core working hours are now concentrated between 9am Tuesday and 1pm Thursday. There may be a delay in my response to E-mails outwith these times.

Jul 25, 2022, 6:27:54 AM7/25/22
to distance-sampling
Updated:

Possible solution (courtesy of Eric)
  • tried to import the csv file, ignoring most of the data fields
    • resulted in the error you reported a week ago "Error line 1, observation layer..."
    • but there were a few records created in the data sheet, although they didn't contain proper information
  • without closing DistWin, I simply repeated the same importing steps and this time all went fine.
    • no altering of the data file, just duplicating the import, overwriting what was there previously.
Import then completed successfully.

Don't have an explanation for the failure on the first attempt and success on the second without changing anything...

would be curious to know if anyone ever experiences this also.

Thanks,