segmentation in dsm

Olga Lyashevska

Oct 1, 2021, 11:34:18 AM10/1/21
to distance-sampling
Hi all,

I noticed that depending on segment size there are more or less 0's introduced to the dataset and I would like to fit a model using data as it is, i.e. with no segment size effect.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Can I fit dsm without segmenting data?
2. If not, can I make segment size equal to transect and in this way override its effect?

Many thanks for your help,
Olga

Eric R

Oct 1, 2021, 1:29:56 PM10/1/21
to distance-sampling
Olga

Afraid you cannot fit a density surface model without segmenting.  The number of replicate transects would be too few to construct a model that provided much information about spatial distribution of organisms.  I suppose you could make segment length equal to transect length, but as I say, the number of data points for the spatial model would be very small and the spatial scale of the measured covariates would be inconsistent with the transect lengths.

Olga Lyashevska

Oct 4, 2021, 4:55:30 PM10/4/21
to distance-sampling
Thanks Eric, I appreciate that!