research request

1 view

spl...@leeds.ac.uk

Jul 31, 2007, 5:50:17 AM7/31/07
to Disabled International Students in UK Universities
CAN YOU HELP US?

We are doing a project about disabled people's life stories and about
social changes over time.
We would like to hear the stories of disabled people born in 1940s,
1960s and 1980s.

Background to the Project

The social inclusion of disabled people is of great importance for
politicians, policy makers, employers and educators. Our research aims
to explore how life has changed for disabled people over three
generations since the Second World War (i.e. for people born in the
1940s, 1960s and 1980s) and how, if at all, changes in society's
policy and practice has changed the experiences of disabled people
over time.

One way to understand this change is to think about the life
experiences of disabled people. There is much evidence that disabled
people have been excluded from full participation in important areas
of social life, such as education, employment, family life, political
participation, culture and the media. Also the experience of
disability varies for different people, in different cultures, in
different historical times.

The priorities outlined in the government's policy agenda now may well
differ from young disabled people's own perceptions about what helps
and restricts their life choices in meeting their goals and
aspirations for the future.

In particular, we want to learn about:

· Significant times in disabled people's lives
· Relationships and networks that made a difference in disabled
people's lives (e.g. friends, family, partners, colleagues)
· What or who helped or hindered disabled people's choices, and
chances in life
· Have changes in society over time made a difference to disabled
people's lives (i.e. changes in policy, technology, public attitudes,
the labour market, or welfare services)?
· How has the participation of disabled people changed the social,
economic and cultural life of the community?
· Why do some disabled people achieve their aspirations in life while
others do not?

This exciting new work aims to make sure that the voices and
experiences of disabled people are heard, and to contribute to policy
and practice concerned with the inclusion of young disabled people
growing up in British society today.

What we want to know

We know that disabled people's experiences and choices are shaped by
the social and cultural environment in with they live. As society is
changing all the time, disabled people who grow up in different
decades have different experiences, relationships and opportunities.
For instance,
· We know that disabled people were not always allowed to go to a
mainstream school with non-disabled friends.
· We know disabled people have not always been able to live in their
own homes or to employ Personal Assistants
· We know disabled people have not always had a choice about what
they wear
· We know disabled people have not always been able get into shops or
pubs
· We know the Internet has helped some disabled people make new
friends
· We know disabled people used to be called 'handicapped'

But we want to know more! We want to know how and why things have
changed for people born in the 1940s, 1960s and 1980s, so we can help
improve the lives in young disabled people growing up in today's
British society.
We need your help

We are looking for disabled people , born in the 1940s, 1960s and
1980s, to tell us about their lives.

We would like to hear your stories about:
· Relationships,
· Historical events
· Good times, bad times
· Barriers, opportunities
· Helpful people, unhelpful people
· Successes, problems
· Happiest times in your lives
· Important decisions
· Big life changes
· Regrets, dreams

And anything else you would like to tell us!

Who wants to talk?

Our names are:

Sonali Shah and Mark Priestley

Sonali will be talking to most people and Mark will be helping manage
the project.

We are both researchers working in the Centre for Disability Studies
at the University of Leeds

www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies

Project Aims

Improve the life chances and opportunities available to disabled
people in 21st Century contemporary Britain
Find out how social change in Britain have affected the lives of
disabled people over time
Find out if the meaning of disability has changed over the years
Compare changing policy and practice in relation to disabled people
born in 1940s, 1960s and 1980s
Give greater voice to younger and disabled people, people in
influencing policy and practice.

We want to talk to:

People who were born with physical or sensory impairment, or acquired
them before they started school, including:

Disabled women and men who grew up with physical or sensory
impairments in the 1940s

Disabled women and men who grew up with physical or sensory
impairments in the 1960s

Disabled women and men who grew up with physical or sensory
impairments in the 1980s

What will happen to the research?

With permission we will talk to disabled people, and the stories will
be used to help inform policies and practices about supporting young
disabled people as equal members of mainstream society and of the
labour force.

We want to write about the stories we collect and share the results
locally, nationally and internationally at workshops, conferences and
in publications. Finally the stories will be used to produce a book
about disabled people's lives and memories of growing up in Britain.

Confidentiality

All the information collected in the study will be treated
confidentially. We will change the names of all the participants and
these codenames will be used instead of your actual name throughout
the project to protect your privacy. Everyone will be asked
permission for their stories to be shared.

Further Information

If you have any questions, would like further information about the
research, or would like this information in another format, please
contact:

Dr Sonali Shah

e-mail: s.l....@leeds.ac.uk

telephone: 0115 925 4264 or, 0113 343 4717

You may withdraw from the project at any point by informing the
researcher, Sonali Shah, that you wish to do so. There will be no
repercussions from withdrawing.

If you agree to take part in the research, please complete the CONSENT
FORM overleaf and return it in the Freepost envelope provided. Thank
you.

CONSENT FORM
I (name)................................................ understand the explanation of the research
project 'Including a New Generation? Understanding disabled people's
lives in the 21st century' and what my participation will involve, and
I am willing to participate. I may withdraw from the project at any
point by informing the researcher. I am happy for the researchers to
use my stories anonymously with my consent.

Contact details (e.g. telephone, email, address, or text, however you
would like us to contact you)

Signature of parent/teacher if under 18 years of age .............................................