7-Zip installed

sam.rawlins

Apr 25, 2011, 2:49:21 PM4/25/11
to pik help and suggestions
Upon trying to install Ruby 1.8.7, pik (0.2.8) downloads the 7z, then
asks me if I want to install 7-Zip. 7-Zip is already, however,
installed, and included in my path (the 7z binary is in my path). Is
there no way to use my system 7-Zip? Must pik download and install an
additional copy of 7-Zip?

Thanks!

Gordon Thiesfeld

Apr 25, 2011, 4:26:53 PM4/25/11
to discu...@googlegroups.com

It's looking for 7za.exe (command-line executable) in the path. If
7za.exe is in your path, this is a bug. Also, pik doesn't necessarily
"install" 7za.exe in the windows sense. It just downloads a zip file
and extracts the contents.

> Thanks!
>
> --

Gordon Thiesfeld
http://vert.igino.us

sam.rawlins

Apr 25, 2011, 5:59:14 PM4/25/11
to pik help and suggestions

On Apr 25, 1:26 pm, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM, sam.rawlins <sam.rawl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Upon trying to install Ruby 1.8.7, pik (0.2.8) downloads the 7z, then
> > asks me if I want to install 7-Zip. 7-Zip is already, however,
> > installed, and included in my path (the 7z binary is in my path). Is
> > there no way to use my system 7-Zip? Must pik download and install an
> > additional copy of 7-Zip?
>
> It's looking for 7za.exe (command-line executable) in the path.  If
> 7za.exe is in your path, this is a bug.  Also, pik doesn't necessarily
> "install" 7za.exe in the windows sense.  It just downloads a zip file
> and extracts the contents.

Thanks for the reply! I added the 7za binary to my PATH and all is
well now. I've never been sure what the difference is between 7z.exe
and 7za.exe, except 7za doesn't come with the two DLLs. Maybe it's "7-
Zip ALL"? Thanks again.