External camera not detected on Mac Monterey

Prashant Laheri

Jun 14, 2022, 10:18:55 AM6/14/22
to discuss-webrtc
I am not able to see the external camera device on Mac Monterey 12.4 (Intel Core i7).

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open chrome
2. Open any webrtc meeting URL like bluejeans or https://join.conxme.net
3.  Connect external camera
4. Now check for the available camera devices

It shows only the Mac internal camera.

Whereas when we tried below steps it worked fine:
1. Connect external camera
2. Open chrome
3. Open any webrtc meeting URL like bluejeans or https://join.conxme.net
4. Now check for the available camera devices

It shows both the cameras.

Do we have any open chromium bug?
Because its not reproducible on Firefox or Safari but being observed on Edge and Opera as well.

Thanks,
Prashant Laheri

Henrik Andreasson

Jun 14, 2022, 10:32:53 AM6/14/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

--

---

Prashant Laheri

Jun 14, 2022, 11:20:12 AM6/14/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Henrik,
The camera devices are showing up correctly with the above demo link.

What am I missing?

Henrik Andreasson

Jun 14, 2022, 11:48:17 AM6/14/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Then it is most likely not a WebRTC or Chrome issue and I suggest that you check with the owners of the actual application which is affected first.

Philipp Hancke

Jun 14, 2022, 12:59:07 PM6/14/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
that sounds like the application you're using is not using the enumerateDevices API (or not refreshing the list) after the first call to getUserMedia succeeds.
Before that browsers limit to a single (default) cam/mic for privacy reasons.

Justin Martinez

Jun 19, 2022, 6:24:59 PM6/19/22
to discuss-webrtc
I'm experiencing similar behavior to what is described above using chrome(102.0.5005.115) & monterey (12.4) with the sample page https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/devices/input-output/

If I :
1. load that page, grant permissions
2. add usb camera (via usb-c hub)
3. refresh the page.
4. check drop down lists.

Sometimes the webcam will show up in the camera drop down but not all the time (the microphone for the webcam seems to always be detected however).  For me it failed three out of the ten times I tried.  When using firefox it never fails for me.

Philipp Hancke

Jun 20, 2022, 1:57:06 AM6/20/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com