WebRTC support has been merged into OBS

se...@pion.ly

Jun 10, 2023, 2:11:24 PM6/10/23
to discuss-webrtc
WebRTC support has been merged into OBS. This is going to bring some really exciting new things to the space!

* Serverless Streaming - WebRTC is P2P so you can video right into your browser.  You don’t have to stand up a server anymore to stream for a small audience.

* Sub-Second Latency - Create content and interact with viewers instantly. There is something magical about having a real conversation with your viewers.

* Multitrack Input - Upload your transcodes instead of generating then server side. Give viewers multiple video tracks to see action from all sides.

* Mobility - WebRTC lets you switch networks at any time. Go from WiFi -> Mobile with zero interruptions.

Try it out today with Broadcast Box. A reference server implementation. https://github.com/glimesh/broadcast-box. The PR to add WebRTC to OBS https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/pull/7926

-----

So many people went into making this happen. This was a colossal undertaking that different people have working on for over 6 months.

Sergio Murillo - Created WHIP. The only reason this could be added to OBS.

Luke Strickland - Created Broadcast Box. The reference server we developed against

Paul-Louis Ageneau - Creator of libdatachannel. The library used to add WebRTC support to OBS.

Colin Edwards - Started the project to add WebRTC into OBS

John Bradley, tt2468, pkv - Developers who worked on the code itself

RytoEx, tytan652 - Lots of feedback and reviews

-----

Have fun using it! If you have any questions/feedback/improvement ideas I would love to hear.

Sergio Garcia Murillo

Jun 12, 2023, 3:53:19 AM6/12/23
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Kudos to you Sean and all the people involved in getting this done! Excellent job!

Do you know of any nighty build that could be used for testing?

Best regards
Sergio

--

---

se...@pion.ly

Jun 12, 2023, 10:01:39 AM6/12/23
to discuss-webrtc

OBS provides builds via Github Actions for every commit. https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/actions/runs/5235646886 is the latest at the bottom of the page.

I don't know if they distributed any signed builds though. I will find out!