Monitor WebRTC stream from the Browser

Tim McClure

Jan 31, 2018, 10:04:18 AM1/31/18
to discuss-webrtc
This there a way through the webrtc protocol to know if a stream is coming into a Chrome browser.  We are using webrtc to stream from cameras connected to Wowza.  We have 2 scenarios:
1.  The video is streaming and the camera is unplugged - the browser freezes with a still image of the last frame.  We would like a mechanism the browser can use to know it is no longer getting video.
2.  Camera are streaming from a camera and a network condition causes the feed to freeze in the browser.  We would like a mechanism that would notice is still occurs so we can automatically refresh the video - refreshing the video generally fixes this issue.

Any insight on how to automate this capability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim McClure

Philipp Hancke

Jan 31, 2018, 12:07:08 PM1/31/18
to WebRTC-discuss
This there a way through the webrtc protocol to know if a stream is coming into a Chrome browser.  We are using webrtc to stream from cameras connected to Wowza.  We have 2 scenarios:
1.  The video is streaming and the camera is unplugged - the browser freezes with a still image of the last frame.  We would like a mechanism the browser can use to know it is no longer getting video.

Use the getStats API as demonstrated on
-- in this particular case framesDecoded should not increase anymore on the receiving (right) end on the report with type=inbound-rtp

Check the ice connection status. https://blog.mozilla.org/webrtc/ice-disconnected-not/ describes this quite nicely and tells you about ice restarts.

--

---