How select device's camera on Chrome mobile

Luca Priano

Jul 1, 2013, 8:45:29 AM7/1/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm working with getUserMedia on Chrome mobile browser. Starting the app, the front camera is used by default, but I'd like to use the rear one.

Looking at w3C (http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html) it seems possible using getSourceIds to know video source ids and then set the desidered one, is it really possible? Any example about it?

I've also trying to use chrome://settings/content to manually select the camera into browser settings, but on mobile browser it isn't possible.

Any clue?

Thanks a lot in advance

Punyabrata Ray

Jul 2, 2013, 11:57:36 AM7/2/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luca,
We are still working on device enumeration for WebRTC in Chrome on Android. This is currently not officially supported.
/Ray

--

---

Luca Priano

Jul 4, 2013, 8:55:54 AM7/4/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ray, so any hope to select device's camera on mobile at the moment ?

Bye

Punyabrata Ray

Jul 7, 2013, 4:09:38 AM7/7/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luca,
No sorry, not right now on Chrome on Android unless you wire something up yourself specific to your application: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7872153/how-to-give-option-to-user-to-select-custom-camera-in-android
/Ray

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Luca Priano <luca....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Ray, so any hope to select device's camera on mobile at the moment ?

Bye

Jay Jay

Sep 8, 2013, 12:50:02 PM9/8/13
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,

Sorry to come back on this one but I have a few questions regarding this issue. I've developped a web app for ticketing and theater management. It' all based on PHP and client-server mode. Now, I would like to have employees at the entrance to handle barcodes on print@home tickets directly from their tablet (Galaxy Tab 2.0). It all works fine but I have this "front camera" problem which is quite bugging as tickets have to be placed above the tablet, thus reducing the visibility and making it a bit complex to use (as you then don't see the screen).

Now, my questions are:
- Is there any workaround to this like e.g. disabling the front camera, somehow rooting the tab and disabling only the front camera? Would that work?
- Besides device enumeration, could this be integrated in settings? In Chrome for android there's no such option but I can see it in Chrome for desktop. Is that something I could do in a beta or alpha version of mobile Chrome ?
- Finally, I said one could "wire something up" using a class that seems written for the SDK. Is there any way to build such an app and to integrate it onto my web application, somehow?

Anyway, I'm not to develop these codebar features until next season but if I could have some idea on when these or at what version of chrome for android any change is planned, I'd be more than happy.
Thanks alot in advance.

Jay

Chee How Chua

Jan 23, 2014, 12:55:53 AM1/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
It's a shame, really. Firefox on Android currently provides the option to select the camera during the permission granting phase.

Vikas

Jan 23, 2014, 2:44:15 PM1/23/14
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am not sure if you are aware, but It should be possible to change the video devices on Android since M31. See issue 1488. You can test with the device switch demo.

/Vikas

Javier Romero

Jun 18, 2015, 1:04:28 AM6/18/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
still waiting this issue in android chrome!!!  thank you very much, i've installed firefox and works fine

Vinod Patil

Oct 10, 2016, 4:59:19 PM10/10/16
to discuss-webrtc
hi guys,
Still i m struggling with that issue...please anyone have solution for accessing  rare camera in chrome???

Christoffer Jansson

Oct 10, 2016, 6:01:36 PM10/10/16
to discuss-webrtc
Hi,

If you approve getUserMedia and then call enumerateDevices, you should get Rear and Facing/front camera labels. Try this demo page in Chrome on Android.

/Chris

--

---
/Chris