Sudden Jitter in Network Caused Audio Issue

Eason Zhao

Sep 4, 2021, 5:41:00 AM9/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
Hi everyone,

I've tried using appr.tc and looks like when there is a sudden delay in network, audio will become tearing / robot-sounded, jitter in webrtc-internals for auido looks like this:
suddenjitter.png

After reviewing the code of webrtc.audio modules in neteq, I noticed the peak detection was removed (M93), and default quantile for IAT becomes 97%:
defaultiat_statistic_percent.png

Since based on my understanding, if the sudden jitter exceeds 97% of the IAT values, jitter buffer in neteq is not able to handle such packets, leading to poor audio quality.

And what is more, adding playout delay seems not working as well, since it doesn't handle the jitter buffer in neteq.

=======

So, I've got questions:
1. Is my understanding correct, if we have sudden delay time to time (sudden jitter and recovered), do we have any strategy to further improve such case?
2. If my understanding is correct, since the configuration of audio jitter buffer is only available in native webrtc, but NOT in js API, do we have any plan to support setting jitter buffer size?

Thanks for your help and time~

Best,
Eason

Eason Zhao

Sep 4, 2021, 5:49:11 AM9/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
And why and when did we remove peak detection in webrtc.chrome?

Pratim Mallick

Oct 9, 2021, 1:29:51 PM10/9/21
to discuss-webrtc
As per the m94 release notes, there was a bug in jitter values of video being reported abnormally high as compared to the ones of audio.

May be its removed due to that reason?

hua shi

Jul 16, 2022, 7:42:47 PM7/16/22
to discuss-webrtc
when I looked at  WebRTC related git logs, there is a discription:
     remove the delay peak detector which is no longer used. This should be a no-op since relative arrival delay mode is used by default.

Snipaste_2022-07-14_10-38-26.png