Different "modes" of OPUS codec

Elise Monaghan

Nov 4, 2021, 6:32:24 AM11/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
I'm trying to save bandwidth by modifying the opus codec params in my sdp. The RFC spec makes several mentions of different "modes" of opus, namely a voice mode and audio mode, but I can't find a place to actually 'set' these modes in the SDP. Does anyone have any insight here?

Philipp Hancke

Nov 4, 2021, 6:37:53 AM11/4/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
you can't since the opus rtp rfc doesn't define any parameters for that.

You can control the bitrate via setParameters or the maxaveragebitrate SDP parameter which will ultimatively affect the mode.
The default gets you mode 14 while higher bandwidths go into CELT-only modes.
Lower bandwidths should give you a silk-only mode but ultimately you're not saving much at the expense of quality.
Higher packetization times (30+40ms) may provide more gains at the expense of latency.

--

---

Elise Monaghan

Nov 4, 2021, 6:56:20 AM11/4/21
to discuss-webrtc
1) Gotcha, so the way to 'apply' the mode is to individually apply specific bitrate settings, is that correct?
2) Where did you find the info for 'mode 14' ? And what are CELT modes? The RFC spec doesn't seem to have any info on this?

Thanks!

Philipp Hancke

Nov 4, 2021, 7:54:34 AM11/4/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
the modes are defined in table 2 here:
You can only see them if looking at the decrypted RTP packets. The exact relationship between mode, bitrate and framesize is probably defined somewhere in libopus.