Momentary loss of audio when both parties speak

Leigh

Feb 16, 2018, 10:20:12 AM2/16/18
to discuss-webrtc
Hi all,

We have a customer using an iOS WebRTC app in a call with Chrome running on Windows. There is an interpreter on the Chrome end providing translation for the people on the iPad end. Since there is translation going on there is a requirement for both ends to be able to speak at the same time.

Our customer is reporting that when both parties are speaking at the same time, there is a "muting" effect from the iPad - in other words, the interpreter on Chrome momentarily loses the audio from the iPad.

The iPad is attached to a loudspeaker so that more than one person in the room can take part in the conversation.

The customer also sees the same muting effect with AppRTC between Safari on iPad and Chrome on Windows.

Does anyone know what might be causing this muting effect, or what could be done to eliminate/minimise it? I know that WebRTC relies on iOS to provide voice processing features such as echo cancellation; I'm considering disabling that and possibly enabling software EC to see if that improves things.

Any other ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,
Leigh

Tom Hartnett

Feb 16, 2018, 10:28:13 AM2/16/18
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
If you're relying on EC for an application where regular doubletalk is expected you're gonna have a bad time. I'd explore a way to get the iPad end on headset(s).

--

---

Philipp Hancke

Feb 16, 2018, 10:41:08 AM2/16/18
to WebRTC-discuss
This sounds very double-talk-y indeed. See here for a very detailed article on the problem: https://www.mgraves.org/2016/01/evaluating-usb-headsets-for-interpreters/
Disabling AEC with {audio: {echoCancellation: false}} might help.