WebRTC Builds for Android on Maven Central: dev.bargen.webrtc-android

Danilo

Nov 20, 2022, 5:48:47 PM11/20/22
to discuss-webrtc
Hi all

During my day job, I'm involved in the maintenance of the "ch.threema.webrtc-android" library[1]. This library contains WebRTC builds with custom patches, and really isn't meant to be used as-is by third parties. However, since the official Google builds have been shut down, and Google has started to reject apps containing ancient WebRTC versions, some people have actually started using that library in their projects[2]. That is a bad idea for multiple reasons.

However, knowing how much time I spent to learn how to properly build WebRTC, I decided it wouldn't be much additional effort for me to publish a separate version of the webrtc-android library without any custom patches, ready to be used by the open source community. This library is not affiliated with Threema. I do plan to update it from time to time, but of course it's all on a best-effort basis, without any support of any kind.

First, the disclaimer: If you work on a complex project that is based on WebRTC, or if you use WebRTC commercially, you should NOT rely on a binary package published by a random person on the internet. If it's a core part of your application, build it yourself!

Here's the link: https://github.com/dbrgn/webrtc-android More details on how these builds were made can be found in the README. It's published on Maven Central as "dev.bargen:webrtc-android". Currently only a single version is available (107.0.0).

Cheers,
Danilo