Webrtc native programming resources

Anime Lover

Oct 20, 2022, 5:07:44 PM10/20/22
to discuss-webrtc
Is there an article /book that discusses the webrtc native interface? I have few problems understanding the architecture and Javascript API is very high-level to what I need.

anything would be very useful, aside from the comments on the header files of course.

Sean DuBois

Oct 20, 2022, 5:56:11 PM10/20/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Are you looking for libwebrtc specific info or trying to understand WebRTC the API and protocol?

https://webrtcforthecurious.com is an open source book the community maintains. It explains the why and how of WebRTC.

webrtcwork.com is a directory that links to some helpful blogs and articles.

--

---

Anime Lover

Oct 20, 2022, 8:01:51 PM10/20/22
to discuss-webrtc
Thanks, I should have actually mentioned I did read almost half of webrtc for the curious and it was by far the best resource I can find.
but honestly, it is still too high level. which is why I hoped there were anything for C/C++ code examples.
For example, in JS, you just call the methods and don't care about the versions of webrtc you are using. in C++, to get the method you have to inherit from certain classes, as far as I have looked, there is no guide that says, what to inherit from and when, but my rule of thumb is, whenever u want some object, always look for any file with name `interface` in it.

I do have many questions that will make a long list, but I guess the thing I miss the most is a list of the classes X that the user should inherit (the client specifically) to get Y.
i.e. to get the video the frame, inherit from the decoder, and implement the decode method, to receive the frame from webrtc server, inherit from class A, implement its virtual function, and then on method B, u will receive the frame, fully decoded by the decoder which was implemented previously.

This is what I meant when I mentioned I have a problem understanding the architecture.

hope that clarifies what I meant.

Kaiduan Xie

Oct 20, 2022, 8:21:55 PM10/20/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
You can start by looking the code in

It is a very good start point to understand how native code works.

Thanks,

/Kaiduan

--
Founder of Goodstartsoft

Anime Lover

Oct 20, 2022, 10:46:00 PM10/20/22
to discuss-webrtc
Thanks,

This is indeed a good start. But, where to go next? I mean specifically for video streaming/receiving video streams, as the example is very minimal and doesn't discuss codecs, image formats (RGB, YUV), and other stuff that will be needed to implement a simple app that receives and uses a stream with webrtc.

Thanks again.

Kaiduan Xie

Oct 21, 2022, 10:46:36 AM10/21/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
That is a very big question :). Here I give a short summary of the major components.

1. https://webrtc.googlesource.com/src/+/refs/heads/main/modules/ has the audio codec/audio device, video capture/video codec, rtp

Good luck!

/Kaiduan