PSA: wildcard rtcp-fb is coming to Chromium M112+

Philipp Hancke

Jan 31, 2023, 7:36:30 AM1/31/23
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
I just landed
which you should read if you are parsing SDP yourself.

It adds
  a=rtcp-fb:* <stuff>
lines to the SDP. This is the "wildcard" defined in
It is added for all feedback types are are either
* supported by all video codecs (i.e. rtx, ulpfec and flexfec are ignored)
* supported by Opus for audio.

There is a small semantic change here for audio:
This *may* apply TWCC feedback to PCMU
Since typically PCMU (or PCMA) is used with "telephony gateways" which don't need or support TWCC (and is a fixed bitrate codec anyway) this should not be relevant in practice.

At some undefined point in the future I hope we can switch libwebrtc (which has parsed this fine since forever) to include only the wildcard feedback and stop sending the per-codec feedback.
In unified-plan which repeats this for *every* codec and every (video) m-line this would save a lot lines in the SDP, we are talking about 40 out of 50 lines per m-line (*)

Please test that this doesn't break anything for your application.

cheers

Philipp
(*) at the expensive of increasing this from 50 to 55 for the time being.

Alexander Abagian

Jan 31, 2023, 1:10:52 PM1/31/23
to discuss-webrtc
Actually, I use rtcp-fb:* for couple years in remote offer, and this somehow works. As I remember, I stole this feature it from some fippo code ("simulcast mid as rid" ?).

вторник, 31 января 2023 г. в 15:36:30 UTC+3, philipp...@googlemail.com:

Siddharth Toshniwal

Feb 1, 2023, 3:39:45 PM2/1/23
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Philipp,

I am trying to figure out whether Firefox is also going to generate wildcard "rtcp-fb" attribute lines in the near future. If yes, do you know a date when that goes into production?

Regards,
Siddharth

yiming wang

Apr 2, 2023, 8:24:58 AM4/2/23
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Philipp,

I saw this feature was rolled back in the updates here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=14802. Could you please confirm that this would not be included in Chrome v112?

Thanks,
Yiming

Philipp Hancke

Apr 2, 2023, 8:26:13 AM4/2/23
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
It is not in M112 and the earliest this will reland is M114. Still good to prepare the receive side (assuming it is not libWebRTC) for it.

--

---