State of the Multiplex Codec (for Alpha channel transmission)

Petr Leontev (RaiaN)

May 16, 2023, 7:19:02 AM5/16/23
to discuss-webrtc

Hi WebRTC devs,

I would like to get more information about the state of Multiplex codec in the latest (or any other) WebRTC release?

We can barely find examples that we can start our coding adventure with. We see these threads (1, 2) and this pull request but we have no idea whether Multiplex codec is implemented end-to-end:
- Can we use augmented video buffers without implementing our own versions of VideoBroadcaster::OnFrame and VideoStreamEncoder::EncodeVideoFrame as mentioned in the thread #2 above?
- Are there any limitations wrt complementary frame data?
- Is the pull request above enough to allow Alpha channel propagation in WebRTC?

We are really afraid to deep dive into WebRTC implementation without having more or less clear understanding of whether Multiplex codec is working end-to-end or it was just a PoC? Could you please navigate us a little bit?

P.S. I message the OWNERS of the related codebase (media dir) but got no response. Any help?

Thank you,
Petr

Anton Barkov

Dec 5, 2023, 7:54:41 AM12/5/23
to discuss-webrtc
Hi, Petr!

Did you manage to get any info on the topic? I'm also interested in being able to preserve the alpha channel, and accidentally stumbled upon this codec in the SDK sources.

Thanks in advance.

вторник, 16 мая 2023 г. в 14:19:02 UTC+3, Petr Leontev (RaiaN):