Calls failing due to spurious IceConnectionState and PeerConnectionState Failed notfications

santhosh kumar

Oct 18, 2021, 12:53:44 PM10/18/21
to discuss-webrtc
Hello Team,

Our customer has call connectivity issue, calls immediately fail when Mac client (webrtc m85) makes outgoing call to Windows client (webrtc m81).

Webrtc logs show below messages for every failed call.

Call failure 1:

[606:658] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 0 => 1

[606:658] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4588): Changing IceConnectionState 1 => 4

[606:658] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 1 => 4 -------------> (kIceConnectionChecking => kIceConnectionFailed)

[606:658] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 4 => 1 ------------> (kIceConnectionFailed => kIceConnectionChecking)

Call failure 2:

[628:244] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 0 => 1

[628:244] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4588): Changing IceConnectionState 1 => 4

[628:244] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 1 => 4 -------------> (kIceConnectionChecking => kIceConnectionFailed)

[628:245] [24835] (peer_connection.cc:4607): Changing standardized IceConnectionState 4 => 1 ------------> (kIceConnectionFailed => kIceConnectionChecking)

The IceConnectionState is flipped from kIceConnectionChecking to kIceConnectionFailed and back to kIceConnectionChecking very fast. I saw IceConnectionState failed after 15 sec due to network connectivity issues but not so fast.

Our app which embeds webrtc SDK reacts to kIceConnectionFailed state and notifies to upper layers and eventually call is killed.

Not shown in webrtc logs, but in addition to IceConnectionState change notifications, we also get PeerConnectionState change notifications in very short period of time.

What could be causing this sudden change of  IceConnection and PeerConnection states ? Is this bug/known issue in webrtc ?

We tried to workaround this issue by adding code to our App to ignore Failed notifications from IceConnection/PeerConnection if they come before 10sec from the start of the call. With this fix, calls connect successfully.

We know that it is not correct way of fixing and relying on webrtc team to provide suggestions.

 Please comment and let me know what do you think.

Thank you for your help

Regards,

Santhosh

santhosh kumar