PSA: iSAC support will be removed in M110

Henrik Lundin

Sep 19, 2022, 10:34:52 AM9/19/22
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Support for the iSAC audio codec will be removed from Chrome in milestone M110, and the code in WebRTC will be removed in the corresponding WebRTC branch.

The Opus codec has been the default and mandatory-to-implement full-band audio codec for WebRTC for many years. Meanwhile, iSAC makes up no more than 0.01% of the WebRTC audio traffic in Chrome, it is not widely supported, and the cost of maintaining and keeping the code secure is hard to justify.

We suggest that any current users of iSAC should migrate their applications to Opus, which is a full-band codec with superior audio quality. Alternatively, the G.722 codec is still available in Chrome as a low-complexity wideband option.

Sincerely,
The WebRTC team

Arun Raghavan

Sep 26, 2022, 12:29:12 PM9/26/22
to Henrik Lundin, 'Philipp Hancke' via discuss-webrtc
On Mon, 19 Sep 2022, at 10:34 AM, Henrik Lundin wrote:
> Support for the iSAC audio codec will be removed from Chrome in
> milestone M110, and the code in WebRTC will be removed in the
> corresponding WebRTC branch.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will the codec be dropped from the webrtc/modules/audio_coding/codecs altogether?

-- Arun

Henrik Lundin

Sep 27, 2022, 2:59:36 AM9/27/22
to Arun Raghavan, discuss...@googlegroups.com