Intermittent audio fade in fade out with muffled sound

gab...@aircall.io

Sep 5, 2018, 9:37:44 AM9/5/18
to discuss-webrtc

Hi,

Our clients are experiencing an issue where audio input suddenly fades in and out,  and during these phases the audio sounds very muffled (just like it went through a Low Pass Filter) or even disappears.

I’ve attached a chart with 8 examples with recordings, from several clients using various configurations (more info below).

The issue seems to be linked with the excessive AEC suppression, for which I found some information here:

We have the following questions:

  • Do you think the examples provided relate to echo cancellation (cf. tickets / discussions above)?

  • Is there any workaround that we should test (from our past experiences disabling echo cancellation create more issues than it solved)?

  • Would AEC3 be a solution to this issue?

  • Is there a particular audioconstraints configuration you would recommend to avoid this particular issue?

  • What about the native echo canceller as a solution to this problem?

  • Is this trackable?

This is a critical issue for our 3000 customers, so your feedbacks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gabriel Guedj

Our clients can use either:

  • an Electron App with Chrome 61 -> Twilio -> PSTN

  • an Electron App in beta with Chrome 66 -> Twilio -> PSTN

  • a Web App with Chrome (version depends on the user) -> Twilio -> PSTN

And we use the default following WebRTC audio constraints.

ID

Timestamp

Seconds in recording

Total duration (sec)

URL Recording

OS

Chrome version

App Type

1

01/08/2018 13:30:18

from 00:25 to 00:35

from 00:47 to 00:52

from 01:00 to 01:03

88

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13iG0QpigJpgmUcdpNe30PNfF1dENCl3S

Ubuntu

Chromium 67

Web App

2

01/08/2018 14:31:24

from 00:20 to 00:24

from 02:07 to 02:12

from 02:23 to 02:29

201

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRIjdlvQE4gp_IT_tw60Bke9Mg-TfFtK

n/a

n/a

n/a

3

02/08/2018 11:56:09

from 00:36 to 00:42

from 00:43 to 00:48

53

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TEIGUYHfXaRXEnxb8EixDrnrW0K3w4Ym

Linux

Chromium 67

Web App

4

02/08/2018 11:56:32

from 00:25 to 00:30

107

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gZbLGQ40T7yqXYlauizADL_BViIDYYpq

Ubuntu

Chromium 67

Web App

5

17/08/2018 17:59:32

from 00:31 to 00:34

58

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14iKixUhaMT8tORHvtb98UU541EvvwWq5

Linux

Chromium 67

Web App

6

20/08/2018 12:47:47

from 00:29 to 00:34

from 00:42 to 00:50

81

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MHdntZnLGKwD3O4uKk0elBgmLVnhInq5

Windows 10

Chrome 61

Electron App

7

20/08/2018 16:47:23

from 00:18 to 00:23

from 00:37 to 00:43

from 00:52 to 00:57

63

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ao8zzshVvJPI0wX1PRG0IPuvmz7YtH5-

Linux

Chromium 67

Web App

8

8/22/2018 9:44:00

from 00:08 to 00:11

26

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9kWjm9SH-riDMuJtMkYcJXVsEQbsmFz

Mac OS

Chrome 66

Electron App (beta)

Isaac Broyles

Jun 6, 2022, 2:50:11 PMJun 6
to discuss-webrtc
Late reply here, but found this issue and was interested if you ever resolved your issues with audio fading? Would love to hear more about what you did to fix it if so.