Speed up the AV1 encoding process

asplin...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2021, 5:00:07 AM12/28/21
to discuss-webrtc
hello,buddies
AV1 encoding on mobile platforms is a bit slow,How can we speed up the process?I have some strategy below to try to speed it up.
  • obvious way is that setting the highest value for AOME_SET_CPUUSED to speed 9 or speed 10 for real-time mode.
  • try to use multi-threads,1,2,4,8,....2**n
  • set super block size to `AOM_SUPERBLOCK_SIZE_128X128` rather than `AOM_SUPERBLOCK_SIZE_64X64`.I'm not sure that if this will work.Appreciated that if someone can explain this.
  • set correct tile mode with the given input image size.for example,choose `AV1E_SET_TILE_COLUMNS` if width > height,othersie,choose `AV1E_SET_TILE_ROWS`.for a 720x1280 frame,choosing `AV1E_SET_TILE_ROWS` and for a 1280x720 frame choosing `AV1E_SET_TILE_COLUMNS`.I'm not sure that if this will work,Appreciated that if someone can explain this.

Apprecitated for adding more strategies on speeding up the AV1 encoding process,thanks very much.

asplin...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2022, 9:35:25 PMJan 5
to discuss-webrtc
At the mean time,setting a reasonable `max bitrate` for video sender can be an option too.