PSA: Plan B throwing is limited to Canary in M93 (not throwing in Stable)

Henrik Boström

Jul 22, 2021, 6:27:10 AM7/22/21
to discuss-webrtc

Hello,

Plan B is being deprecated in M93. To aid migration, there exists a Deprecation Trial which allows registered domains to continue to use Plan B for a limited amount of time. See this doc for more information. This means that unless opted in to the trial, a web app that attempts to construct an RTCPeerConnection with {sdpSemantics:"plan-b"} will get an exception thrown.

To further reduce the risk of ongoing migrations, we have decided that in M93, this exception will only be thrown in Canary and Dev channels of Chrome. In other words:

  • Plan B will not throw an exception in M93 Beta or M93 Stable.

  • Plan B will throw in M93 Canary and M93 Dev outside of the Deprecation Trial. If using the Deprecation Trial, Plan B will not throw as long as the trial token is still valid.

We will make another announcement prior to making Plan B throw in Beta and Stable of subsequent milestones.

Henrik

Yash Gogia

Aug 20, 2021, 6:59:31 PM8/20/21
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Henrik,

Is it possible to get any tentative timelines as to when Plan B will start throwing exception in Beta and Stable as well?

Thanks,
Yash

Henrik Boström

Oct 15, 2021, 6:01:05 AM10/15/21