Webrtc is blocked but websocket is not

Yuan Ho

Jan 11, 2022, 1:21:16 AM (10 days ago) Jan 11
to discuss-webrtc
Some of our customers have problem connecting using Webrtc even using relay. We enabled turn relay over TLS on port 443 but it still fails.

However, their device can connect to our server via Websocket. Moreover, customer said their Internet browsing is ok.

How can websocket be working but TURN over TLS 443 be not?

My theory is that the customer is in deep intranet and they can only connect to Internet via a http proxy, which allows websocket but not TURN over 443. Is that possible? How do I counter this circumstances? Thanks.

shakeeb nazmus

Jan 11, 2022, 3:54:30 AM (10 days ago) Jan 11
to discuss-webrtc
>> My theory is that the customer is in deep intranet and they can only connect to the Internet via an HTTP proxy, which allows WebSocket but not TURN over 443. Is that possible?

Yes. It is possible. But it requires  Deep packet inspection (DPI). The device is costly and hardly used on the customer end.

Please check your setup using two clients behind two separate  HTTP proxies. The client should not be in the same subnet.  If the two clients can do audio or video call
each other, then the setup is fine.

Thanks,
Shakeeb