ANNOUNCEMENT: Rootsweb Migration Project

webmaster

Mar 9, 2023, 8:40:32 PM3/9/23
to boar...@googlegroups.com, disc...@googlegroups.com, usgenw...@googlegroups.com, usgenweb...@googlegroups.com, usgen...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com
USGenWeb Members,

Ancestry.com announced that Rootsweb's hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024.

Rootsweb was an early foundation for USGenWeb and hosted many of our sites for 2+ decades, but sadly will no longer be a viable hosting option for our Project going forward.

If you have a site currently hosted on Rootsweb, please contact your State and Assistant State Coordinators immediately. We are gathering important information to help move and host these projects.

If you do not have a site hosted on Rootsweb but you could help download sites, do some minimal clean-up, host any sites, or donate any funds for Project hosting, please contact your State Coordinators, or reply directly to me or an AB rep.

Many people have provided a lot of sweat equity into our project over the past 25+ years by providing unique resources that exist nowhere else and by helping researchers who email us. THIS IS what sets us apart from Big Geneology companies. And now we need to all come together as a community and cross state lines to keep our Project up-to-date, active, and relevant into the future.

Please reach out to your State leaders, your AB representatives, or me to see how you can help.

We can do this if we all work together!

Linda K. Lewis
National Coordinator
The USGenWeb® Project