Re: [discuss-immersive-scholar] Digest for discuss-immersive-scholar@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Chris Hoffman

Oct 30, 2018, 2:54:32 PM10/30/18
to discuss-imme...@googlegroups.com
Micah, thanks for that report, very interesting!
Chris

On Oct 26, 2018, at 4:24 PM, discuss-imme...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Micah Vandegrift <mlva...@ncsu.edu>: Oct 26 11:36AM +0200

Hello all!

I attended IEEEVis - Vis4DH workshop last week in Berlin. The topic was
generally what can Vis and DH learn from one another and share back and
forth as they are both young-ish fields, with lots of opportunity for
collaboration.

Here's some top-level takeaways:

* there are some pretty deep methodological differences between the Vis
community and digital humanities. Several discussions throughout the day
returned to the question of how we can productively bridge that gap.
* *Miriah Meyer* gave an intro keynote where she discussed working with
poets, and having to shift from vis as problem solving to vis as
exploration. I wonder how true that is for others here.
* She reminded the audience that use of a vis can often differ from design
intentions, and especially when working with humanists this can be a really
challenging process.
* others underlined the need for developing a reflective moment as part of
a vis project <https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.09417>. Working with humanists
can be fruitful in this b/c reflective creativity is a default mode for
much of the humanities.
* we took a LOOOOONG detour discussing the usefulness of dividing the
"Humanities" from the "Sciences" with many of our European colleagues
proposed that finding a way toward "wissenschaft
<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=wissenschaft&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>"
will better serve our communities.
* The panel that I was on covered a range of topics from the need for
synthetic data sets, differences in languages of the vis/digital humanities
fields and the need (or not) for translational actors, conceptualizing a
"visualization incubator" and how that might or might not work, and
finally, fo course, the structural problems of credit for collaboration.

Papers and reports can be viewed here - http://vis4dh.org

My personal takeaway after the meeting was that projects like Immersive
Scholar <https://www.immersivescholar.org> (shameless plug) are attempting
to address some of these topics and questions, and that there is a lot of
structural work to do (within Universities, evaluation systems, etc.) But,
I was encouraged to be in a totally different professional community and
feel welcomed and able to keep up with the discussions.

Anyone else attend other points of interest at IEEEVis? Other conferences?

Thanks!

Micah V.
--
Micah Vandegrift
Open Knowledge Librarian, Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center

Fulbright-Schuman Innovation Fellow, Oct '18 - Mar '19
- blogging at medium.com/@mlvandeg
Lead PI, Immersive Scholar <https://www.immersivescholar.org/>
@micahvandegrift <https://twitter.com/micahvandegrift>
ORCID: 0000-0001-8429-7697 <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8429-7697>