July Discus / DDC Meeting at 7pm Tuesday 10th July at The Local Taphouse

Ben Lippmeier

Jul 1, 2018, 8:48:55 AM7/1/18
to discu...@googlegroups.com, fp-...@googlegroups.com, Matthew Yu, Trevor McDonell, rich...@gmail.com, Erik de Castro Lopo, Tran Ma, Ben Sinclair, Amos Robinson, Sean Seefried, Peter Gammie, Rohan Jacob Rao, Chris Hall, Maxwell Swadling

We’re having a Discus / DDC meeting on 10th July to talk about the various projects that we’re working on (or if you’re not actively hacking but like PLT and/or discus fish then come along anyway and have some beer). Last meeting we decided to have more meetings every 3 months, and the next time has come.

This is an informal gathering and discussion, without pre-prepared talks, but with show-and-tell. All interested parties are welcome. We’ll try to get the room upstairs as we have at previous meetings.

The Local Taphouse
122 Flinders St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010
7pm Tuesday 10th July.

Some people will probably arrive a bit earlier, I’m planning to be there by about 6:30pm. If you arrive and can’t find us then call Ben Lippmeier +61 421 381 880.

Background: Discus is a Haskell-like language that some of us have been hacking on for a while. DDC is the compiler for it. More info at http://discus-lang.org/

Ben Lippmeier

Jul 31, 2018, 10:48:35 PM7/31/18

On 1 Jul 2018, at 10:48 pm, Ben Lippmeier <be...@ouroborus.net> wrote:

We’re having a Discus / DDC meeting on 10th July to talk about the various projects that we’re working on (or if you’re not actively hacking but like PLT and/or discus fish then come along anyway and have some beer). Last meeting we decided to have more meetings every 3 months, and the next time has come.

Meeting Summary:

Attendees (6):
Josh Meredith, Trevor McDonell, Richard Collins, Max Swadling, Ben Lippmeier, Erik de Castro Lopo
Sorry if I missed anyone.

Work since last meeting
. More robust determination of current build platform, gives better error messages.
. Set r-path properly on OSX and Linux, so executables work properly when moved to different directories.
. Added info table indices to headers of boxed objects. The info table contains meta-data about the value, such as the original data constructor name and arities.
. Start on basic Language Server plugin. Enough is implemented to register with the IDE via the Language Server protocol, but doesn’t have any real functionality yet.
. Got basic reflection library working using the info table indices, we now have a generic show function that prints out a human readable description of any value in the heap, and does not require Show a => type class constraints. This is also a step towards implementing a primitive memoization operator.
. branch “compactRegionDev”: Addition of prototype compact regions system.
. branch “check-resolve”: Reworking the way data is loaded from interface files during type checking. The branch in is now working apart from fixing superficial test breakages. Previously, when checking module DDC needed to load interface files from all transitively reachable modules. After this change it will only need to load interface files from directly imported modules, which will significantly speed up compile time.

Active Projects
Chris: Adding a capability system to ensure that concurrent effectful computations do not interfere.

Matthew: Adding support for a version of compact regions, which allows data to be allocated into a region separate from the heap and not traced during main GC cycles.

Ben: Close to merging the check-resolve branch to get better interface file handling. Once this is done will return to primitive memoization.

Cheers,
Ben.