Salt: renderPlain

Amos Robinson

Dec 20, 2018, 5:32:26 PM12/20/18
to Ben Lippmeier, discu...@googlegroups.com
Is "renderPlain" in Salt.Data.Pretty used? I was testing round-trips and found a bug.

The string with two spaces ("  " == [32,32]) has its second space eaten by the post-render munger. So if you have a string value (VText "  ") and pretty-print it then parse it, you get a different result.

The eatSpace function looks easy enough to fix, but it doesn't look like anything is using renderPlain. Should I fix it or delete it?

Amos

Ben Lippmeier

Dec 20, 2018, 5:56:28 PM12/20/18
to Amos Robinson, discu...@googlegroups.com
renderPlain came across from DDC where it is sometimes used to hackily convert Docs back to Strings, which are then used as constructor names and the like. I looked at all the uses in DDC and none of them look well thought out. It’s safe to just delete renderPLain from the Salt codebase.

Ben.