What's in a name? Man goes from Smith to Awesome

Geoff Pope

Dec 7, 2010, 9:58:15 AM12/7/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com

EUGENE, Ore. — An Oregon man has had an Awesome name change.

Douglas Allen Smith Jr. says he changed his name to Captain Awesome last month because he was inspired by the nickname of a character on the NBC television show "Chuck" — Dr. Devon "Captain Awesome" Woodcomb.

The unemployed Eugene cabinet installer says he found it funny Woodcomb's father gave him that nickname because a "poor nickname builds good character."

The former Mr. Smith says he faced a Lane County judge who questioned his seriousness. The judge that granted the request made him swear he wasn't changing his name for fraudulent reasons.

Awesome says that judge also allowed him to sign his name as a right arrow, a smiley face and a left arrow.

He says his bank, however, has refused to accept the signature because it could be forged too easily.

--
- Geoff Pope

Phillip Hodges

Dec 7, 2010, 11:02:36 AM12/7/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com, dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
This is amazing news. A huge victory equivalent to Roe v Wade in it's ability to shake the foundations of this country. Now who is changing their name to "Dolla' Bill"? I say we draw straws.

Sent from my iPhone

Geoff Pope

Dec 9, 2010, 9:55:43 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
Check out this follow up article to see more about Captain Awesome. This man is my hero.

http://deadspin.com/5708610/this-is-how-captain-awesome-signs-his-name
--
- Geoff Pope

Phillip Hodges

Dec 9, 2010, 10:18:20 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com, dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
I seriously vote we pool money for someone to change their name. I'm in for $100. I also vote for Cody to change his name.

Sent from my iPhone

Matt Donaghey

Dec 9, 2010, 10:22:19 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
Alright Geoff name your price what's it going to take to get you to officially become Meangelo. And you can't have a last name its gonna have to be a one name like Pele or Cher.
--
Matt Donaghey

dona...@gmail.com
251-391-6753

Geoff Pope

Dec 9, 2010, 10:38:00 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
Based on the time it's going to take me to drive to the courthouse, fill out the necessary paperwork, make multiple trips to the courthouse to convince the judge(s) that I'm serious about changing my name to Meangelo, followed by the extensive process of converting everything I have in my name to Meagnelo, we're looking at about a 6 month long project, and if I'm running at an arbitrary rate of $50 a day in time, 5 days a week (iIwon't be working on this over the weekends), we're looking at $6,000 for me to change my name.

Let me know.
--
- Geoff Pope

Phillip Hodges

Dec 9, 2010, 10:39:55 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com, dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
How long would your name remain meangelo for 6k?

Sent from my iPhone

Phillip Hodges

Dec 9, 2010, 11:15:23 AM12/9/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com, dirtyb...@googlegroups.com
Also, anyone willing to do it for cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone

Cody Smith

Dec 13, 2010, 10:20:19 PM12/13/10
to dirtyb...@googlegroups.com