Production Meeting

Skip to the first unread message

Jenna Weisz

27 Apr 2009, 19:29:1427/04/2009
to directing
Concerning the restaurant scene I want the entrance to the restaurant
to be stage left with the kitchen and the restroom would be stage
right. I would have a door on stage right for the bathroom and
kitchen. I'm also using the blue table but it's not tall enough so
I'll be putting books under the table. I know ghetto but the table
cloth covers it up. I'm using this black lace cloth for the table
don't know if it needs to be transfered to other scenes since it will
probably soaked. I might bring a towel to wipe up the water. It's
going to be a lot of water so we might need a tiny bit of time to
clean up the mess.

Prudence: Make sure to have the same purse and the same necklace?
Sarah is bring in a purse for her character maybe we can all share
that. My Prudence is nervous and fidgety. Prudence is wearing a red
dress with white sandals

Bruce: Is kind of a perfectionist in my scene having to fix things.
He's wearing a peace necklace but I don't think it has to be in every
scene but just to let you know. Bruce is wearing black pants with
sandals and a black shirt with patterns on it.

Any other questions just post or give me a call.

TriciaB

28 Apr 2009, 12:21:4328/04/2009
to directing
This isn't really in response to Jenna's post, but one thing I wanted
to discuss is: what does Bruce actually do for a living? At one point
he says he's a lawyer, but I just don't buy that. He says at another
point that he also writes for People magazine (like Prudence) but it
seems like it was maybe just a letter to the editor or something. I
don't envision him having a normal 9-5 office job. Maybe he works out
of his home? What do you all think? It would be helpful for our actors
if we could all agree on something. . . possibly. Is that possible?
So, my thought is that he does freelance work of some kind out of his
home. (That's why he was always there when the gas meter man would
come by.) What does everyone else think?

Jenna Weisz

28 Apr 2009, 16:06:1328/04/2009
to directing
No I agree Tricia we should figure out what Bruce does. Maybe he is a
writer but has gone to law school but doesn't practice or decided to
stick with writing.

Ramiro

28 Apr 2009, 20:41:3028/04/2009
to directing
So, I'm going to keep my input simple.
I think that we should agree about set design
and floor plan. As for props and character
background, I am wary of making group decisions.

If we have a unified restaurant floor plan, it
will help establish that it's a restaurant and that
it's the same restaurant Bruce and Prudence met in.

I don't think that any of our respective sets NEED to be the same set
as any other. It could be five different floor plan for the
restaurant.
If that's the case then we agree on how execute the movement from one
set design to the next.

TriciaB

29 Apr 2009, 00:11:1729/04/2009
to directing
Though it doesn't apply to my scene and I don't want to be telling
anyone else to do, my humble opinion about the set is that it would be
good to have the same floor plan for the scenes that take place in the
restaurant to show that it is the same restaurant, like Ramiro said.
Just my two cents!

As far as character background, yeah, I wasn't sure if that was
something that needs to be the same for everyone, but it seems like we
should have similar ideas, doesn't it? If the Brian-Bruce is dressed
like a lawyer and acting like a lawyer and the Sergio-Bruce is dressed
and acting like a laid-back freelance write, that won't be consistent.
Does that matter? At what point does collaboration between directors
end? What are the main things that need to be consistent? Just the
set? costumes?

Tiana

29 Apr 2009, 15:03:5229/04/2009
to directing
Nothing REALLY has to be consistant...we can have as many different
people and places as there are scenes. I do like the idea of a
somewhat unified idea of who Bruce is. Maybe he is a lawyer and runs
his practice out of his home, so he doesn't have to pay for an office,
his home, and his alimony. That would explain his seeming inability to
know how to lie gracefully, as he would have learned if surrounded by
other lawyers, law clerks, and secretaries in a bigger practice. And
being a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean going to court; lots of
lawyers facilitate between couples for divorces and write legal
documents without ever touching a courtroom.

Now, Jenna, as far as the floor plan goes, I have my plan reversed,
with the bathroom door on stage left and the exit stage right. For me,
that's easier because in the Green Room, the restaurant door was where
the real door is. Would it muck up your blocking too much to reverse
what you have now, or should we keep them as mirror images of each
other? (Kinda cool from a conceptual point of view...) Also, for the
others with the restaurant scene, I'd planned to have candles on the
table for my scene. It'd be kinda interesting to have that throughout,
unless that's too cumbersome.

Jenna Weisz

3 May 2009, 17:57:3103/05/2009
to directing
Ya we will just switch the signs on the doors for the restroom and
exit. I like the candle though.